EVO power steering wiring?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Reaction score
I deleted my EVO power steering a couple years ago on my suburban. My girlfriend drove it the other day for the first time and didn't really like the steering. I kept the solenoid and i am thinking of reinstalling it.
My problem is that I cut the wiring when I deleted it, and now I can't find the where the darn wires are. I did delete my ABS, so that is a question I had, wondering if the abs played any part in providing speed input to Evo system. Or if the wiring fir the PS solenoid ran off the ABS loom?

You must be registered for see images attach

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In 1998 anyway, the EVO wires follow the loom that goes to the crank position sensor. Look there.

You may not want to re-enable it, EVO can be troublesome, as this recent post can attest:

If the steering's too "heavy" for her you might try using a different flow control orifice in the pump; increasing the flow should lighten the steering, that's exactly what the EVO (electronically variable orifice) does.

Do tell.

Last edited:
Reaction score
In 1998 anyway, the EVO wires follow the loom that goes to the crank position sensor. Look there.
Thank you!

You may not want to re-enable it, EVO can be troublesome, as this recent post can attest:

If the steering's too "heavy" for her you might try using a different flow control orifice in the pump; increasing the flow should lighten the steering, that's exactly what the EVO (electronically variable orifice) does.

Do tell.
Her complaint was that it was a little too soft feeling at speed.
I put in a new ps pump just month ago and it works great, real nice, smooth and easy at low speed. But now that she mentioned it it does feel a little too easy at higher speeds. It is not sloppy. Rag joint is in good shape and gear box is good n tight, only couple years old. Front end is all new, so I got to thinking maybe I should enable the EVO again and see.

I only deleted because I was rebuilding a leaky pump and some lines, and was in a simplify this rig kinda mood at that time. Can't recall any acting up or unpredictable operation.

Reaction score
Hard to get at that crank sensor loom. I will just have to see more about the wiring when I can get around to pulling that PS pump.

Another reason I want to enable Evo is because I recently read somewhere that the passlock module controls the Evo solenoid. I have had some off and on issues over the last couple years with doorlocks going a haywire, which I am now thinking is the passlock module causing this. Also have had the typical passlock crank start die, no start issue a couple times over the same time span. Worried maybe an exposed Evo power lead grounding out might have fouled up the passlock module. Seams like a stretch now that I write it out, but I would feel better having Evo wired back up before replacing the passlock.

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hard to get at that crank sensor loom. I will just have to see more about the wiring when I can get around to pulling that PS pump.

Another reason I want to enable Evo is because I recently read somewhere that the passlock module controls the Evo solenoid. I have had some off and on issues over the last couple years with doorlocks going a haywire, which I am now thinking is the passlock module causing this. Also have had the typical passlock crank start die, no start issue a couple times over the same time span. Worried maybe an exposed Evo power lead grounding out might have fouled up the passlock module. Seams like a stretch now that I write it out, but I would feel better having Evo wired back up before replacing the passlock.

Grab the service manual and study the wiring diagram.

Service manuals can be found here: