Power steering question..

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If you have EVO (which it sounds like you do), it's known for failing with age.

IIRC the usual problem is the sensor, which senses steering wheel rotation, fails.

The usual "fix" is to remove the EVO (electronically variable orifice) from the pump and replace it with a fixed orifice. Kits for doing this were once sold by GM but have been discontinued. Dorman has a kit, or you can "do it yourself" by ordering the relevant parts.
I guess I could disconnect the connector at the pump. What should that do? Hopefully increase power assist?

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
When I did that to mine (1998 Suburban), it remained at "high assist" (light steering) all the time. YMMV, depending on what's actually failed.
Disconnected and no change. Steering still really heavy. Does that mean I need a new EVO valve? Or just go for the bypass kit? Thinking my pump is ok since they either work or completely fail with no assist in my experience. No odd noises from my OEM pump with 210k miles.

Last edited:

1998_K1500_Sub

Nitro Junkie
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Disconnected and no change. Steering still really heavy. Does that mean I need a new EVO valve? Or just go for the bypass kit? Thinking my pump is ok since they either work or completely fail with no assist in my experience. No odd noises from my OEM pump with 210k miles.

I would guess the pump is OK and the EVO is at fault, based on the likelihood of failure (pump is relatively simple, EVO is relatively complex).

The course of action is up to you.

EVO is a problem waiting to happen IMHO and can act-up in ways that are disconcerting, e.g., see this thread:

The guy above disabled his EVO and problem solved.

If you want to know a bit about the EVO device itself, see this:

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Appreciate the quick replies and detailed info!

There’s some videos of my 97 along with other vehicles in the family on my YouTube channel.

97K1500Silverado

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Driving around today I have full boost all the time with connector unhooked from PS pump. I searched eBay for Dorman variable steering bypass kit 926-049 $20 shipped