Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You can do it! Full speed lots of lube, dont stay at one spot. I always used a bit of trans fluid wiped onto the cylinders then wd-40 but I’m a hack too lol!
I bought trans fluid just for this....the cheapest I could find at Canadian Tire, was still $10 for a 1L bottle. And always have a few cans of "Weasel Piss" around.

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I even have a spare Chevy 350 block that’s junk if you want to practice on it. I’m just going to use it as a mock up block for building the turbo kit but it’s already cracked so there’s no risk. It will go for scrap once the turbo kit is welded up.

Setup a timer so you can hone each cylinder for the same time roughly. The biggest goal is de glazing the walls, a hone like this won’t really fix the bore if it’s in need of much work. Trying to remove imperfections with a hone normally makes it worse by removing too much material.

Last edited:

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I even have a spare Chevy 350 block that’s junk if you want to practice on it. I’m just going to use it as a mock up block for building the turbo kit but it’s already cracked so there’s no risk. It will go for scrap once the turbo kit is welded up.

Setup a timer so you can hone each cylinder for the same time roughly. The biggest goal is de glazing the walls, a hone like this won’t really fix the bore if it’s in need of much work. Trying to remove imperfections with a home normally makes it worse by removing too much material.
Thanks for the offer of a practice block, but I'm just gonna go for it!! Lol
Going to do the "count the strokes" method. Make sure I hit them all the same. Starting with 10-15 each seems to be the consensus.

Didn't see any imperfections in the bores, just smoooooooooooth, with a hint of a ridge up top, probably more carbon buildup than anything, I'll explore that before I start.

But just realized a little while ago I'm going to have to take the crankshaft out to do this, didn't really wanna go THAT far. Now going to have to look at buying new bolts and bearings. Camshaft budget is being eroded very quickly!! Lol

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It doesn’t have to eat into the cam budget, just have to wait for it to replenish. You know you’re going to put a cam in it. :biggrin:
Ya....that was the plan all along, I just wasn't planning on going this far into the engine. So the cost of new gaskets, head bolts, oil pump etc has exceeded the cost of "just a cam," so it won't be going back together as quickly as I had hoped for.
Shocking I'm sure to find out something is going to cost more and take longer while doing an engine swap.....why didn't someone tell me about this sooner!!!
Bahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Ya....that was the plan all along, I just wasn't planning on going this far into the engine. So the cost of new gaskets, head bolts, oil pump etc has exceeded the cost of "just a cam," so it won't be going back together as quickly as I had hoped for.
Shocking I'm sure to find out something is going to cost more and take longer while doing an engine swap.....why didn't someone tell me about this sooner!!!
Bahahahahahahaha!!!!!!

No where was that said all the way back at page 89, lol.

I really wanted to go hopping up the 6.0 for mine, but they're not that hard to get back out. The hard part is getting everything working, and where it needs to be.

You've about doubled or tripled the work and money, for a little extra tire spin, just sayin.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
No where was that said all the way back at page 89, lol.

I really wanted to go hopping up the 6.0 for mine, but they're not that hard to get back out. The hard part is getting everything working, and where it needs to be.

You've about doubled or tripled the work and money, for a little extra tire spin, just sayin.
I was not planning on cracking open any engine I pulled. But once this particular one was out, it was evident it needs gaskets as it was a filthy, leaking pig. Leaks from oil pan and front cover for sure, hard to see where it was all coming from. Power steering fluid all over as well.

So in discussion with a few pretty smart fellas, it was decided to open up for gaskets and oil pump at the very least. There was no sense in doing all the work to put it in amd have it leaking everywhere. Much easier to take care of that stuff on the stand.

A camshaft was always going to happen before it went in, and was originally planning on running the BTR Truck Norris one that didn't require new springs. But once the heads came off and seeing the smoothie cylinder walls, it was evident that the engine was pretty high mileage, so springs should be replaced anyway.

Was I hoping for as cheap as possible, absolutely. Was I prepared to spend money where needed, absolutely. And when woman stated in front of my buddy and his wife "you may as well do it right" that gave me the mental "go ahead" to spend more than I had originally planned due to budget reasons. It's just going to take a bit longer, what project doesn't??? Lol

At the end of it, I will total up the receipts. And I can guarantee it will still be less than turning my 5.7 into a 383 and all that that entails. I'm probably in less at the moment than a set of decent aftermarket cylinder heads for a 383 build.

And I have been dreaming of making a tire fryer out of this truck for almost 30yrs. Back when bolting on a Whipple got you 300hp!! Then the 502's came out, etc. This thing was ALWAYS going to get hopped up one way or another, this just happens to be the most economical way of me achieving that goal. Just taking a little longer than anticipated, but only due to finances, and who can't relate to that. But at the end of the day, what's a few more months in a 30yr journey???

I will go through your build thread if I didn't already. And if I have any questions, I will definitely reach out.

KansasOBS

Not Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man, I was just bustin your balls. I went to enlarge my fender openings recently, which his now led me to contemplating ripping off an entire new stainless exhaust, and doing something completely different, when I need to spent money elsewhere already. So don't think that I am any better at this, lol.

No build thread for my junk, just random nonsense.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yeah man, I was just bustin your balls. I went to enlarge my fender openings recently, which his now led me to contemplating ripping off an entire new stainless exhaust, and doing something completely different, when I need to spent money elsewhere already. So don't think that I am any better at this, lol.

No build thread for my junk, just random nonsense.
Lol....I didn't take it hard at all man, all good!!
Well get a damn thread going so we can follow along on your adventures/miss adventures! Lol