Drunkcanuks build...... finally!!!

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mine is from a 03 Denali, I looked and counted 3.
If I remember correctly, the reason why I was going DBW was to retain cruise control.
More research needed!! Lol
Does your truck not have cruise now? The cruise control needs a 4000 PPM signal which it now gets from the speedo. To retain it and run the LS ECM you would probably need a DRAC from a '93-'95 and run the 40 PPR output to the LS module. The LS module may have a 4000 PPM output.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Got the oil pan off, popped a cap and bearing at the ass end farthest from the oil pump as requested by a buddy.
You must be registered for see images attach
They look pretty darn good to this idiot. Lol
Put it back together, yes I put some oil back on first. Torqued to 15ft lbs ans spun 85-90⁰. Think in just gonna "send them."
Pretty sludgy in the sump, but I'm not surprised, could smell the "burnt" oil", woman came in and opened the garage door cuz it stinks so bad.
But not as much as Sean's he pulled!!! Lol
pre-floor-dry for the win!!! Maybe in not such an idiot!!! Lol
Cleaned up, then gotta tackle an oil change in my 2020. Nap and back to the city for another week. At least next weekend is another long weekend....three days off!!
That's when I'm going to pull the front off after getting a puller. I was able to sneak a big screwdriver/chisel/pry bar onto the timing chain. It was fairly"wiggly "......may as well get that done too!! Why not.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ya it's spooky for sure!!!
But did research before I bought it, and it seems they have it pretty dialed in. No reports of failure I could find. I'm sure the NTSA(I believe it is) would have been all over them if they weren't "ok!" Lol
Yeah,and the FDA approved a lot of drugs that ambulance chasers are making money off of now. You've got a good dependable truck there,keep it that way!!!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Does your truck not have cruise now? The cruise control needs a 4000 PPM signal which it now gets from the speedo. To retain it and run the LS ECM you would probably need a DRAC from a '93-'95 and run the 40 PPR output to the LS module. The LS module may have a 4000 PPM output.
It does have it now, just the DBW has it "built in" making it a lot easier, from what I was told.
I'm going to try and find a gauge cluster from a 91+ so I have a tach, and I believe that's got the DRAC and stuff needed to make my speedo work anyway without too much fuss.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

That doesn't look so bad. Once you get the cam out rub the lobes with some 400 grit and see if they smooth up. If you're going to put a cam in it then that points mute.
It's "borderline" in my opinion....see what the bank account says about the situation!!! Lol
Plan is definitely to cam it at some point. What that point is is determined financially. Would ideally like to just get the thing in and running right first....but I got the damn thing torn what 75% apart now!! Lol

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got the oil pan off, popped a cap and bearing at the ass end farthest from the oil pump as requested by a buddy.
They look pretty darn good to this idiot. Lol
Put it back together, yes I put some oil back on first. Torqued to 15ft lbs ans spun 85-90⁰. Think in just gonna "send them."
Check the mains too. While you have it apart slip a set of bearings in there. If there is no appreciable ridge I'd give it a light hone and throw new rings in too.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the mains too. While you have it apart slip a set of bearings in there. If there is no appreciable ridge I'd give it a light hone and throw new rings in too.
Ya, probably gonna do that next weekend.
Didn't seem to have a ridge that freaked me out, just a bit. Going to hopefully grab some measuring tools from buddy and check bore size as well. But I foresee a dingle ball job happening for sure, and some new rings yo go along with it.
Man you guys make it easy to spend money!!! Lol

Leeztruk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Here's some info on your cruise. If you go with DBW, you won't need your mechanical set-up. The TAC module takes care of that for you. The VSS sends its' info to the PCM, which disseminates it to the speedo and TAC. Your cruise switch should be of the 4 wire variety and it will plug into the TAC, which in turn, controls your throttle body. If you go DBW, I don't know if the PCM info from the VSS will play nicely with your gauge cluster if your truck is 88-91. You can use the cluster from a 92-94 and the PCM just hard-wires directly to the cluster. Don't be confused by all the 2000ppm-4000ppm signal hoopla. It works as is. You'll just have to change the harness connector to mate with the newer cluster. If you get one with a tach, just have your programmer set the tach output from the PCM for an 8 cyl. signal. You'll have to boost the signal strength from a 12v source and add a 5k ohm pull-up resister. Worry about that later. Have we fried your brain yet? As the TV ads say "BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!!" Just worry about the engine/trans for now, and get it in the truck

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
More likely than not going with Mr Norris for sure, just debating going with the NSR one....no springs required. Just for the reason of not paying for springs ...but I'm sure I'll do the "right thing."