Deciphering Live Data.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I replaced the injector connectors last night, didnt fix the misfire on start but it sure seemed to help the truck while driving, much much better than before but not perfect.
Also, use a suitable solvent and clean all that dielectric grease (all wire terminals and boots). Check your spark plug threads and holes on the head and makes sure it’s clean metal (not header paint or baked dielectric grease).

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So did you not have a good spray pattern and that’s why you changed the the connectors?
They were very loose and original to the truck with the wires were pulled a million times too, it made a noticeshle difference so I guess it did help something, maybe inside was look so it was giving enough to shoot fuel but it was a weak connection, don't know

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Also, use a suitable solvent and clean all that dielectric grease (all wire terminals and boots). Check your spark plug threads and holes on the head and makes sure it’s clean metal (not header paint or baked dielectric grease).
Ill pull out a current spark plug soon to see how that looks

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All the scanner data checks out for the truck running good, only thing that stands out is a couple knock counts on start up.
Don’t worry about knock counts. You are likely not getting accurate numbers with the scanner. Glad it’s running better.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Here are the plugs I took out the far back one on the right is black from header paint, plugs basically looked new.
You must be registered for see images attach

No, not so much.

4, 6, and 7 have grey deposits. The rest look virgin-white.

Given that one injector sprays fuel for 1, 4, 6, and 7, while the other sprays for 2, 3, 5, and 8...having grey plugs on 4, 6, and 7 makes me question that injector. It also makes me wonder why #1 doesn't have grey deposits.

SOMETIMES, painted plugs will misfire because the spark conducts down the paint. Ideally, the exposed porcelain is kept clean/uncontaminated.

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

No, not so much.

4, 6, and 7 have grey deposits. The rest look virgin-white.

Given that one injector sprays fuel for 1, 4, 6, and 7, while the other sprays for 2, 3, 5, and 8...having grey plugs on 4, 6, and 7 makes me question that injector. It also makes me wonder why #1 doesn't have grey deposits.

SOMETIMES, painted plugs will misfire because the spark conducts down the paint. Ideally, the exposed porcelain is kept clean/uncontaminated.
So heres my next question. I have that when I startmy truck even today when it was 90 before it runs for about a minute and the motor heats up it misfires a bunch, what do you think it might be? The coil is new but its the exact symptoms of when my coil failed last so I will start by diagnosing that. Any other ideas? I think coil or ICM. The truck is running is running better but only like half the time which I find peculiar. Ill come out of one stop snd it will pick up perfect, then the next sluggish again. The tuner doesnt show anything peculiar when it misfires on start. I think I am getting closer but it still sucks that the damn thing just wont run right

Nick88

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is the top of the motor, does anything stand out to anyone that looks out of place or like it might need to be looked at?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is the top of the motor, does anything stand out to anyone that looks out of place or like it might need to be looked at?
Engine is the wrong color, indicating it's been worked-on if not replaced
Cruise control is vacuum instead of electronic
A/C compressor is not where I'd expect it
Wiring is a disaster

WHAT VEHICLE IS THIS?