Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Dravec

Unashamed 400 addict. Best. Trucks. Ever.
Reaction score
Well, now that I've started the process of prepping this girl to come home next week, I guess it's time to start a thread on her.

This is my 1972 Ford F-100 that I inherited from my Grandpa when he passed away. This was his first ever new vehicle, that he bought after his neighbor/coworker bought a month or two earlier. It's a very uncommon "Explorer" trim package, which was very similar to the Ranger XLT package that year, but with different fabrics on the seat and at a slightly cheaper price point. This one has the "D" level Explorer package. She's dressed in Sequoia Brown Metallic paint, with a full trim package, with a Ginger interior. Drivetrain consists of the original numbers matching FE block 360, C6 automatic, and 9" rear with 3.50:1 gears. I'm unsure if it has the Trac-Loc differential or if it's an open diff.

She's been off the road since '93 or '94, and hasn't moved from the hole she was sinking into since pretty close to then. A handful of times over the years my Grandpa and I would get her fired up and running for a few minutes or so, sometimes longer. When the tires would go flat, he'd always just throw on a used spare tire from the trailer that we had, and then replaced the bad tire with another used tire. I just in the last week or so got 4 brand new tires on her, the first ones I think I've ever seen her wear in my entire life.

When I finally got the paperwork sorted out from the will, and got the title transferred into my name, the ladies at the title office had never seen an original 1972 Texas red title before. So that was cool to see them all gather around to gander at it, and they were nice enough to make me a copy that I could keep, since it had my Grandpa's name on it. I am officially only the second owner ever recorded in this truck's history.

Plans are basically to start with a very basic restoration, just enough to get her running and driving again, before eventually doing a full nut and bolt, frame off restoration. I'm unsure of what mods, if any I will wind up doing. Part of me wants to change a few things and customize her a bit, part of me wants to restore her to showroom original condition, how he would have brought her home.

Attachments

• IMG_20240624_154518.jpg
    IMG_20240624_154518.jpg
    615.3 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20240622_203005.jpg
    IMG_20240622_203005.jpg
    535.8 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240624_154422.jpg
    IMG_20240624_154422.jpg
    741.2 KB · Views: 12
  • IMG_20240622_203015.jpg
    IMG_20240622_203015.jpg
    448.6 KB · Views: 11
  • 1972-ford-f100-explorer-special-brochure.jpg
    1972-ford-f100-explorer-special-brochure.jpg
    93.9 KB · Views: 13

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
That's a pretty rad truck!!!
I love the old Fords, getting a 56 or 75 is definitely on my bucket lottery win list.

I'd say just get it up and running, drive it for a while, she will tell you what the next step is. And when she's done talking, now it's your turn to do what you want done, not what needs to be done.

Dravec

Reaction score
That's a pretty rad truck!!!
I love the old Fords, getting a 56 or 75 is definitely on my bucket lottery win list.

I'd say just get it up and running, drive it for a while, she will tell you what the next step is. And when she's done talking, now it's your turn to do what you want done, not what needs to be done.
I absolutely love how you put it. I absolutely plan to listen to her. I know that she needs new fuel hoses, and a new carb to get running. Followed closely by rebuilding the entire brake system from master cylinder to hoses, wheel cylinders, shoes and drums. At which point she should be driveable. Oh, and her first oil change in 25-30 years. Or so.

Dravec

Reaction score
So I know the driver's side floor pan is rotted, as well as the bed floor, so those will need cut out and replaced. I'm planning to remove the old camper shell, as all four plastic windows are busted on it, but I don't plan to get rid of it yet. I may see if I can get it fixed, and have the dents fixed from a few decades of hail. Supposedly, down in the corner of the barn that's collapsing, there's a tool box for the truck that Papa said was paint matched to the truck way back when. So I'll see if I can find that as well. Then I just gotta decide on what I'm doing for wheels.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
As cool as that would be, I'm perfectly content with the older FE block. It's the original motor, and it's not locked up. I'm not even gonna bother doing a 4 bbl swap right now.
Those 360 truck motors are pretty good engines, for what they are designed for. Back in my parts store days (78-83) we had some customers who had them in similar era Ford pickups, and they were happy with them. I saved one of them when I was at their Mobil station/shop. Guy had it on the lift for oil and filter change, he goes to fire it up and oil pours out the bottom. I saw it and got him to shut it off before it started clattering. He'd forgotten to put the new oil filter on...I think he'd had too many beers for lunch.
My uncle had a '69? F250 4x4 that was his daily driver for years. It had some FE series engine, maybe a 390? He may still have it, even though I know he got a 2016 super duty to haul his travel trailer. He's in northern New Mexico, but we haven't spoken for a few years. He used to be a pretty decent guy but has turned into a cranky old man....