Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
They also come with a cutter head or a pick head. The cutter head would seem to be good for roots, which are plentiful here. I would think that it would work as a pick as well.

1719230977975.png
We used to call that a "Grubbing Hoe" :biggrin:

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm guessing you mean a mattock?

You must be registered for see images attach

We have a small one, but apparently don't have a large one. Definitely need one with a 36" handle.

They also come with a cutter head or a pick head. The cutter head would seem to be good for roots, which are plentiful here. I would think that it would work as a pick as well.

Thoughts?
Mattock huh? I just learned some new stuff today on the www. I've always called them a pickaxe or a pickhoe depending on design. I use the heck out of the pickhoes, but don't use the pickaxe at all. I just use an axe or battery op sawzall if a root is too big, and an old pair of loppers for the smaller roots. Definitely don't use the good tree loppers on roots... the grit will dull it quick quick.

Also, I like to use the pickhoes, both long and short, from my knees.... way betterer on the back and a way better angle to let the tool do the work. There's enough back bending when the shovel is out.

Good luck with it!!

Last edited:

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thought a GH had a blade on one side...

We have one of these, only not so large or nice.
I use a big concrete hoe to pull loose dirt into a pile for the shovel or loader.

Those little backhoes are looking better and better the older I get. Just way too much dinero, but if I find one at an estate auction or somewhere, I'm in.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Mattock huh? I just learned some new stuff today on the www. I've always called them a pickaxe or a pickhoe depending on design. I use the heck out of the pickhoes, but don't use the pickaxe at all. I just use an axe or battery op sawzall if a root is too big, and an old pair of loppers for the smaller roots. Definitely don't use the good tree loppers on roots... the grit will dull it quick quick.

Also, I like to use the pickaxes, both long and short, from my knees.... way betterer on the back and a way better angle to let the tool do the work. There's enough back bending when the shovel is out.

Good luck with it!!

Thanks!

We have several sets of loppers, and at least one of them is suitable for trench root work. We also have a battery powered sawzall.

Good advice on picking while kneeling. That makes sense. I have a couple of pairs of kneepads around here somewhere.

I have a doctors appointment in town in a bit, so afterwards I'll swing by Lowes or HD to see what they have in the way of a mattock/pickaxe/pickhoe. Not something I want to order online; I need to hold it in my hands before deciding.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I use a big concrete hoe to pull loose dirt into a pile for the shovel or loader.

Those little backhoes are looking better and better the older I get. Just way too much dinero, but if I find one at an estate auction or somewhere, I'm in.
As Keeper said, on the knees will save your back tremendously for swinging a pick/mattock any length of time.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

You should see what images my search came up with on grubbing hoe. Of course I had 'safe search' turned off. Lol.