Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The guy at the rental place, "It'll dig through anything!"

Also the guy at the rental place, "You break it, you buy it!"

Funny you should mention this.

Since I finished with the trencher sooner than expected, I dropped it off on Sunday morning, a day early, on my way into town. They told me on Friday that I could just leave it out in back of the shop over the weekend if I was done with it early. I thought that was odd, since there wouldn't be anyone around to check it in. But whatever.

So I topped off the gas tank, towed it to the shop, unhitched it, then took a time/date stamped picture of it just in case it disappeared. I was feeling pretty good about saving a separate trip early Monday morning.

Monday morning I get a call from the rental shop. I immediately asked if the thing had been stolen, said so, and was assured that it was right where I left it. Whew.

He then informed me that the gas cap was missing. Crap. I remembered putting it on top of the machine when I filled it, but evidently forgot to put it back on.

So I quickly apologized for losing the gas cap. He patiently waited while I did so, and then went on to say that on Sunday night it had rained. Poured, actually. Of course it hadn't rained here in probably three weeks. He said that that he looked in the filler neck and sure enough, it was brim full of water. Oh ****.

Fortunately it hadn't been started up and run. Unfortunately, the fuel tank and lines would have to be drained, flushed, and refilled with clean gas. Plus a new $20 gas cap and a fuel filter.

That little mistake on my part added $105 to the rental cost. Ouch.

At my age, I really dislike that I'm still paying tuition.

Stumpy

Heavy Chevy
Reaction score
I'm always worried I'm going to forget to put the cap back on, whether it's, gas, oil, or whatever. So when I do take one off, I set it somewhere it will ride, or not on the vehicle at all.

I started doing this after leaving the oil fill cap off a Toyota I had in my younger days. It made it several miles down the road, before it fell of the valve cover. I heard it fall, and immediately knew what it was, as I watched it roll in the road behind me. Pulled over to walk back and get it. Had to wait on a car to pass, before I could grab it, and the SOB ran over my oil cap, and shattered it. So there I was, feeling dumb, and pissed off. lol

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm always worried I'm going to forget to put the cap back on, whether it's, gas, oil, or whatever. So when I do take one off, I set it somewhere it will ride, or not on the vehicle at all.

I started doing this after leaving the oil fill cap off a Toyota I had in my younger days. It made it several miles down the road, before it fell of the valve cover. I heard it fall, and immediately knew what it was, as I watched it roll in the road behind me. Pulled over to walk back and get it. Had to wait on a car to pass, before I could grab it, and the SOB ran over my oil cap, and shattered it. So there I was, feeling dumb, and pissed off. lol
Yeah, that’s how I felt. Dumb and pissed off, but at myself.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Yeah, that’s how I felt. Dumb and pissed off, but at myself.
If you have a 400 with the underhood storage box, the depression in the lid is a good place to put the oil filler cap(ask me how I know this!). Was topping off Rawhide and put it there, then got distracted and didn't put it back on. Smelled more oil than usual, popped the hood and there it was....
I dropped the one on Burb a while back; the engine was still warm and it landed on the exhaust manifold. Got a corner melted, I kept it so I'd remember not to do that....

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I’d love to have a mini-ex.
Dunno what the market is on the really cheap little ones but I noticed my old man is selling a couple '24 model small excavators, one's a 20hp Kubota-powered one for $13.7K (marked down from $15.5K) and a 25hp Yanmar-powered unit with an A/C cab for $24.5K!!

Richard

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Dunno what the market is on the really cheap little ones but I noticed my old man is selling a couple '24 model small excavators, one's a 20hp Kubota-powered one for $13.7K (marked down from $15.5K) and a 25hp Yanmar-powered unit with an A/C cab for $24.5K!!

Richard
Depending on the models, those are a lot less than I'd pay around here. But I haven't really looked, because having a front end loader would be the first priority. Plus I'm waiting to see how this part time gig that's supposed to start soon plays out.

Probably a used skid steer would make the most sense.

Equipment, even used, is damned expensive!!

Last edited:

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Depending on the models, those are a lot less than I'd pay around here. But I haven't really looked, because having a front end loader would be the first priority. Plus I'm waiting to see how this part time gig that's supposed to start soon plays out.
Equipment, even used, is damned expensive!!
They're kinda neat. I don't have any use for them with the place I have now, but I can see the possibilities regardless ;)

"2024 MachPro MP46 excavator powered by a 25hp Yanmar diesel engine. This machine weighs 5500lbs. It has an air conditioned cab to keep you cool on those hot summer days. Comes equipped with push blade, swing boom, plumbed for auxiliary hydraulics, rubber tracks, led work lights, windshield wiper and much more."
You must be registered for see images attach

"2024 VC20 Mini Excavator Kubota 20 hp diesel excavator and fixed thumb. Backfill Blade, Rubber Tracks, Auxiliary Hydraulics, Kubota Diesel, Toolbox, Canopy"
You must be registered for see images attach

Not trying to post ads for the old man's stuff on the cool or anything, but he's over in W. TN if you get the itch, LOL. He's got a lot of used equipment, too. He does equipment rentals but also picks up some stuff for direct sale.

Richard

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When we were farming we bought a 3 Point Hitch back hoe that we used on the back of our 60HP 184-4 Massey 4 wheel drive tractor with a 236 loader on it. The back hoe looked wimpy but was actually pretty strong, albeit slow. Could only reach ~8' but, as much as we used it, we thought it was a good investment.