Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When you finish your trench today, run it on up the three hours to me. I'm about to embark on cutting a trench across a driveway through another 50 feet or so of shale. Been hemorrhaging money so renting one is out of the cards currently
I can't imagine digging in shale. Wish we were closer - I'd gladly loan it to you; I have it until Monday at 8:30.

Speaking of hemorrhaging money, I'm not looking forward to my credit card bill this month. MY DD is in the shop for a new clutch and slave cylinder, which required pulling the transaxle and maybe the engine. Not sure about FWD cars, and I wasn't going to tackle it myself. Turns out it also needs a new flywheel. Ouch.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I can't imagine digging in shale. Wish we were closer - I'd gladly loan it to you; I have it until Monday at 8:30.

Speaking of hemorrhaging money, I'm not looking forward to my credit card bill this month. MY DD is in the shop for a new clutch and slave cylinder, which required pulling the transaxle and maybe the engine. Not sure about FWD cars, and I wasn't going to tackle it myself. Turns out it also needs a new flywheel. Ouch.
Ouch. I'm close to $600 into the 4runner axle repair, unplanned so trying to keep the wallet closed tight for a while and recover. Can't complain though since my MIL watches the kids when we work from day 1.

Seriously considered sacrificing the money to rent one but I've got work in Harrisonburg on Monday and won't be able to return it on time. Shovel and pick it is. Do have good help today though.

Attachments

• 1000008943.jpg
    1000008943.jpg
    740.3 KB · Views: 12

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ouch. I'm close to $600 into the 4runner axle repair, unplanned so trying to keep the wallet closed tight for a while and recover. Can't complain though since my MIL watches the kids when we work from day 1.

Seriously considered sacrificing the money to rent one but I've got work in Harrisonburg on Monday and won't be able to return it on time. Shovel and pick it is. Do have good help today though.
I'd say you have excellent help, and a great MIL!

I'm taking a much-needed break. Most of the trench is dug, the only stretch remaining is about 20' from the house into the center of the garden. That will be fun. Not.

It goes much slower than I expected. You may notice that the trench is not quite straight. Fortunately the conduit will bend enough to follow that curve, especially after it sits in the sun for awhile.

I started at the garage, then had to adjust.

You must be registered for see images attach

THe Nandina roots proved too much for the 'Witch to handle, so I'll be digging them out by hand. Oof.

The final stretch is from the fence to the house, forming a broad arc, and hopefully landing just to the right of that right-hand box on the wall.

So I was tracking it back along the trench to set up for that last bit, when I discovered that it is possible to get one of these stuck.
Who knew?

Hence, the much-needed break.

We have some oak logs to put in the ditch and hopefully drive up onto them, and to freedom.

Fingers crossed.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
I'd say you have excellent help, and a great MIL!

I'm taking a much-needed break. Most of the trench is dug, the only stretch remaining is about 20' from the house into the center of the garden. That will be fun. Not.

It goes much slower than I expected. You may notice that the trench is not quite straight. Fortunately the conduit will bend enough to follow that curve, especially after it sits in the sun for awhile.

I started at the garage, then had to adjust.

THe Nandina roots proved too much for the 'Witch to handle, so I'll be digging them out by hand. Oof.

The final stretch is from the fence to the house, forming a broad arc, and hopefully landing just to the right of that right-hand box on the wall.

So I was tracking it back along the trench to set up for that last bit, when I discovered that it is possible to get one of these stuck.
Who knew?

Hence, the much-needed break.

We have some oak logs to put in the ditch and hopefully drive up onto them, and to freedom.

Fingers crossed.
Could also lay a board crosswise over the trench to get it to pop up and out. Good luck and take it slow.

I'm down to another 26 feet by hand. All the in-laws are over now with 8 kids running amok and in the pool.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Could also lay a board crosswise over the trench to get it to pop up and out. Good luck and take it slow.

I'm down to another 26 feet by hand. All the in-laws are over now with 8 kids running amok and in the pool.
It's out. We used a couple of landscaping timbers and some rocks for traction, and it came out. Only took an hour.

Sounds like you're making good progress. Is it hot in your part of WV?

It's 96º here, with 41% humidity. Could be worse, I suppose, but I'm not feeling like doing a whole lot more outside today. I've been drinking water 16oz at a time since I woke up at 5 this morning.

Finally wrangled the trencher into the center of the garden, with a bit of collateral damage. It will be a good excuse to reconfigure parts of the garden, as it was overgrown and unruly.

Didn't exactly hit my target by the house, because I could only get so close to the AC unit. But I think it'll be close enough (I know, the house needs power washing).

Now to get this thing out of the garden!

All that's left is another 10' to branch off to a frost free hydrant at the corner of the building. Think I'll wait for it to cool down a few degrees this evening to do that. Then the trencher can go back on the trailer.

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
It's out. We used a couple of landscaping timbers and some rocks for traction, and it came out. Only took an hour.

Sounds like you're making good progress. Is it hot in your part of WV?

It's 96º here, with 41% humidity. Could be worse, I suppose, but I'm not feeling like doing a whole lot more outside today. I've been drinking water 16oz at a time since I woke up at 5 this morning.

Finally wrangled the trencher into the center of the garden, with a bit of collateral damage. It will be a good excuse to reconfigure parts of the garden, as it was overgrown and unruly.

Didn't exactly hit my target by the house, because I could only get so close to the AC unit. But I think it'll be close enough (I know, the house needs power washing).

Now to get this thing out of the garden!

All that's left is another 10' to branch off to a frost free hydrant at the corner of the building. Think I'll wait for it to cool down a few degrees this evening to do that. Then the trencher can go back on the trailer.
Weather service says 91 currently at the nearest station down in the valley. Quite miserable. Broke out a canopy to give me some shade. Fan has been out from the start.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Weather service says 91 currently at the nearest station down in the valley. Quite miserable. Broke out a canopy to give me some shade. Fan has been out from the start.
Says it's 93° with a feels like 101° here. It's at least that, AC in Rawhide is going full blast since we left the toy show and we're halfway back across town! Only reason it's this cool is the tropical storm Alberto we got the other day....

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And... it's done.

Well, not done, but all of the trench that could be dug with the trencher, has been dug. Of the total 120+ feet, probably 15 feet or so of hand digging remains. Including that ******* nandina root. Then we'll have to clean out the trench where the dirt has fallen in. Whew.

Realistically it will take at least the rest of this week, working in the early mornings due to the heat, to finish it. That's ok. Considering all of the obstacles in the garden I had to get around, particularly the a/c condenser, the fish pool, and the fence, I'm feeling pretty good about our progress so far. I can't imagine what it would have cost to hire someone (or a crew of someones) to dig this trench. I'm guessing a multiple of $1000. The cost of renting the trencher plus a few gallons of gas seems like a really good deal.

I do have to laugh at myself, though, for believing on Friday that we would be laying conduit by Sunday. :anitoof:

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
And... it's done.

Well, not done, but all of the trench that could be dug with the trencher, has been dug. Of the total 120+ feet, probably 15 feet or so of hand digging remains. Including that ******* nandina root. Then we'll have to clean out the trench where the dirt has fallen in. Whew.

Realistically it will take at least the rest of this week, working in the early mornings due to the heat, to finish it. That's ok. Considering all of the obstacles in the garden I had to get around, particularly the a/c condenser, the fish pool, and the fence, I'm feeling pretty good about our progress so far. I can't imagine what it would have cost to hire someone (or a crew of someones) to dig this trench. I'm guessing a multiple of $1000. The cost of renting the trencher plus a few gallons of gas seems like a really good deal.

I do have to laugh at myself, though, for believing on Friday that we would be laying conduit by Sunday. :anitoof:
Well, you're not alone in hoping to have conduit laid by Sunday. I've got another 10 feet to go plus under a fence and up the the post where the outlet is being mounted. Just giving my mother-in-law a little bit to wake up before I go over and get her dogs riled up. Maybe 7am is late enough.

Did it storm down your way last night? We had a good 30 minute storm kick up around 9-9:30?