Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, you're not alone in hoping to have conduit laid by Sunday. I've got another 10 feet to go plus under a fence and up the the post where the outlet is being mounted. Just giving my mother-in-law a little bit to wake up before I go over and get her dogs riled up. Maybe 7am is late enough.

Did it storm down your way last night? We had a good 30 minute storm kick up around 9-9:30?
No rain here. A few clouds, but that was it. We really need some rain. The crops are starting to suffer.

Sounds like you'll be done before too much longer. That's got to feel good. Stay with it!!

termite

Definitely NOT Awesome
Reaction score
No rain here. A few clouds, but that was it. We really need some rain. The crops are starting to suffer.

Sounds like you'll be done before too much longer. That's got to feel good. Stay with it!!
We could use more rain as well. My garden and the in-laws pastures really need it. Hopefully some will make its way down to you soon, just not too much at once. Don't want that trench washing in before you get pipe in it.

Currently 76 and sticky out here. I've moved on to puttering around my shed until there are signs of life from the rest of the household. Once the kids are up, I'd bet their grandma will likely be stirring too, maybe. If not, she will be right after I pull in the driveway over there.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd wrap the base of that nandina with a wide tow strap, hook it to the back of the suburban and pull it out like a tooth. It's easier for you, it will retain more smaller feeder roots that way, and it will transplant very well. They are tough tough plants. I've done it dozens of times to large nandinas, and hundreds of times to other large shrubs. ;)

and, yes, do a rain dance please. I've got the hoses running 24/7 already.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'd wrap the base of that nandina with a wide tow strap, hook it to the back of the suburban and pull it out like a tooth. It's easier for you, it will retain more smaller feeder roots that way, and it will transplant very well. They are tough tough plants. I've done it dozens of times to large nandinas, and hundreds of times to other large shrubs. ;)

and, yes, do a rain dance please. I've got the hoses running 24/7 already.
Thanks - that’s a good idea. I’ll still have to dig down far enough to get the tow strap around it, but pulling it out sounds a lot better than digging it all the way out.

My GF does a pretty mean rain dance. I’ll get her on it.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Does she have a special dance for them slow soaking rains as opposed to 3 inches in an hour? I'll request the former if possible.
Definitely hope for the former.

And, believe it or not, a few drops fell here an hour ago. First time in I can't remember how long. And there are some clouds that look as though they may have potential. But I'm not holding my breath.

She says it's too hot now to do a proper rain dance outside, and doesn't think that it works inside.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pick Hoes, one big and one small, are great tools for digging. Plus an old pair of loppers for smaller pita roots.
I'm guessing you mean a mattock?

You must be registered for see images attach

We have a small one, but apparently don't have a large one. Definitely need one with a 36" handle.

They also come with a cutter head or a pick head. The cutter head would seem to be good for roots, which are plentiful here. I would think that it would work as a pick as well.

You must be registered for see images attach

Thoughts?