Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
More light is more better. You'll never have enough, it's similar to square feet. And when you have the doors open, that will create another dynamic with the light.

I put enough fixtures in my shop that there are only shadows underneath the vehicles, not around them.
More light it is. Now I’m thinking 18, or possibly more.

Talk about scope creep! lol.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As many lights as you can afford and wire them so you can have every second one on one switch and every in between on another switch etc, and separate the bays in the same way. That way you have total control on how much light you have,and where you need it, without wasting power when not needed.
Hadn’t considered wiring them that way, but I can see the advantages. If I understand the electrical code correctly, I’ll have to use multiple lighting circuits anyway, and so could wire them up in that fashion.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't forget to illuminate any work benches/spaces (drill press etc) directly above where you plan on installing.
Although the work bench will probably be on wheels, its ‘home location’ will definitely have its own light overhead. Likewise with other work stations, such as a solvent bath.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A box of 12 means these are less than $11 each. They're what I used in my 30x40 shop, and they're about right. If I ever get around to it, I might install an additional light over the metal bench and the tool box, but honestly, I don't need it.
www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0BPN64GL7/

Trio's lights are pretty sweet at twice the brightness, but they're also 10x the price. That would be a good over-workbench light.

That’s a good idea. Maybe go for the ones you’re suggesting for the area lighting, and some 8 footers over the benches etc.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
These are definitely the bargain route but I've got similar lights in my 2-car garage, bought a 4-pack, and they're stupid bright for the money. Absolutely cheapo stuff, no doubt, but worth what I paid for 'em at least! I should probably pick up another 4 and round out the other end of the garage. Will be less useful with the door up but generally if I'm working in there at night I've got it closed.

3 of 'em hung high to the ceiling and 1 slightly lower over my main box worktop.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard
Makes sense, and it looks plenty bright. I’m also figuring out which mounting method to use - direct attachment vs chains - and suspect it will be a combination of the two.

Nice tool cabinets, btw!

Last edited:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
A taller shop will soak up a lot more of the light. They're perfect with my 13' rafters. I have two in my 2.5 car garage, and if I can ever get my wife's junk out I'll probably put another on the other side.

And here I thought your wife had her own workshop. :biggrin:

Oh, wait…

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Re: Light positioning

The vast majority of light installations seem to put all the emphasis on
laying out a symmetrical grid of lights above. However, even in an otherwise
really nice shop I've seen it where the lights were installed in such a way
that when I'm at the busiest workbenches I am always working in my own
shadow. (ie: The overhead light is illuminating my back, instead of being
directly over the work.)
That is exactly how I started out with the lighting plan - a grid covering the whole shop. As you and others correctly point out, that doesn’t really address task lighting.

So thanks to you and others for pointing out the downside of this approach, I’m now thinking of two general separate lighting plans - peripheral task lighting and area lighting - switched independently per @GrimsterGMC ‘s suggestion.
Given that good light on the task at hand is an essential contribution to the
overall quality of our work, I find it best to layout your various work stations
in your shop first, and then install the lighting so that whatever you are
working on at each individual station is bathed in shadow-free illumination.
Thanks. This reminded me that my planning process has gotten a bit off track.

The programming part - what will happen in the shop, how it will be used - is pretty well complete. I just need to do the actual space planning to determine where the various functions will occur. The locations for workbench(es), rolling toolbox (sadly I have only one), solvent bath, media blasting cabinet, welder, and so forth, should inform the lighting plan. So back to the drawing board.
And once you have that sorted out, then a few evenly spaced light fixtures
over the rest of the shop will give you the biggest overall bang for your
lighting buck.
Makes sense!
From my perspective, you are living the dream. When you're done you will
certainly have the South VA Garage Mahal... :0)
Thank you! Helping to create this shop has been fun (mostly) and interesting. I say helping because the observations, suggestions, and encouragement I’ve received from you folks in this excellent community (as well as from those at garagejournal.com), are ensuring that this shop will be far better than it would have been had I been left to my own devices.

I’m getting more excited as it continues to take shape.

However, I also find it sobering to reflect on the fact that the large majority of my years on the planet are now behind me; and that from a strictly financial perspective, building a shop at this point in my life could be viewed by some as a poor investment, and perhaps even a bit selfish. After all, it is being funded in part by what will eventually be left to my two kids and to my brother’s two kids.

What it comes down to is quality of life. As many have said, having this shop will be a game changer. It is a key element in making the most effective use of my time and effort to help manage this farm (still not a farmer) and maintaining our fleet of older vehicles and equipment. Plus it will no doubt accommodate functions that I haven’t yet thought of. And doing it all in comparative comfort and safety.

From that perspective, the bang for the buck - the return on investment if you will - is huge.

I’m thinking the kids will understand.