Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
A week ago I climbed up onto the roof to bag the whirly-vents for winter. It makes about a $50 difference in our electric bill, and the roof's fairly low so it's easy to do. My wife was at work and I was home alone, but I didn't think anything of climbing up there. I got the extension ladder, and fortunately I don't have to extend it. We used to have a trellis on the south side of our porch, and one of the 4x4 uprights is still in place. I leaned the extension ladder against the post and monkeyed on up to the eave of the house. The downside of using a 4x4 post is that you have to keep your feet on the center of the steps or the ladder tries to flip sideways. I just got my arms onto the eave when the ladder flipped, but I already had most of my weight on my arms so I was able to catch myself and use my feet to get the ladder back in place. My cell phone was still in the house, so if I'd fallen, I'd really have been in trouble. This is why you invest in good karma.

Not exactly the same, but it's what came to mind.

You must be registered for see images attach

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@South VA ,
Did you end up getting the 12' ladder?
I did.

And here it is, soon to be put into service:

As an aside, in the process of loading up I discovered that a 12’ stepladder may not actually fit into the Subdivision.

May not; not won’t.

No matter. The attempt failed, so on the roof it went. Which, btw, marks the first use of the stock roof rack on either Suburban. And it worked.

Back to the stepladder: What I find interesting is that I had expected the taller version to be less stable, solely based on its increased height. Maybe a subtle effect what climbers call “exposure.” Up higher, fall farther. I’m not sure.

So I set it up and climbed it, and was surprised to find that it actually feels more stable than the 10’. A wider base in both axes, plus more mass translates into a safer and more comfortable ladder. Who knew?

Turns out the additional height also works better than expected: it’s just the right height for installing the 12 LED fixtures and wiring in comparative comfort. That’s while standing one below the highest step.

The view:

That’s a long way of saying that the 12’ ladder was the correct choice, no question. So it turned out to be a pretty good morning.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I set it up and climbed it, and was surprised to find that it actually feels more stable than the 10’. A wider base in both axes, plus more mass translates into a safer and more comfortable ladder. Who knew?
It also has more double knee braces from the side rails to the steps. These ladders are designed to withstand twice their weight rating so, a 250Lb rated ladder will actually support over 500 LBS on each step (one at a time). Just make sure you don't stand on the top step ANd especially the top cap, as you mentioned before :waytogo:

I worked for Werner for a little over 5 years and helped set up their extrusion, pull-trusion (fiberglass rails), fabrication, and assembly lines in Juarez MX. Little did we know, they planned on closing all of their plants in the USA. They asked me to move down there and take over the entire extrusion operation but, with all the cartels and corrupt cops, I quit and went to another extrusion company.

And now you know the rest of the story :lol:

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It also has more double knee braces from the side rails to the steps. These ladders are designed to withstand twice their weight rating so, a 250Lb rated ladder will actually support over 500 LBS on each step (one at a time). Just make sure you don't stand on the top step ANd especially the top cap, as you mentioned before :waytogo:

I worked for Werner for a little over 5 years and helped set up their extrusion, pull-trusion (fiberglass rails), fabrication, and assembly lines in Juarez MX. Little did we know, they planned on closing all of their plants in the USA. They asked me to move down there and take over the entire extrusion operation but, with all the cartels and corrupt cops, I quit and went to another extrusion company.

?? Looking the other way as the beams were packed full of coke or fent. might have proven to be quite profitable. lol

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score

I have to say that it seems really well-made. It’s rated to 300Lb.

Sounds like an interesting experience south of the border!
It also sounds like you made a wise decision.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
In other news, I finally got the Subdivision into the 1st bay, making a slight mess in the process:

Parking a comfortable distance back from the bay doorway (leaving plenty of room to walk around the front), there’s just under 8’ from the rear bumper to the back wall, and about 4’ on the side.

It’s looking like the building dimensions are working out as hoped.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hipster said:
pfft, I'd have had it filled with stuff already lol.

The prophecy is coming true - it's starting to fill up!
It is. Baby steps, though. The creeper is now leaning against the back wall, accompanied by a pair of jack stands and a floor jack.
Did you seal it already?
Not yet. I think I’ll rent some sort of rotary device to clean the floor before I seal it. Sometime after the doors go on.