Decided to build a garage. Now the fun begins.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ugh, I need my own shop. I’ve got stuff scattered around at least 3 different properties.
I hear you. My tools are scattered between several places, none of them particularly organized; it makes doing actual work much harder than it needs to be.

Eliminating nearly all of that particular stress is what I’m hoping this shop will do. I say nearly because it will not be perfect, and I’ll still need to keep at least some tools in several locations.
I really need a house of my own too so maybe I’ll build a 2500 sqft shop and put a 200 sqft loft apartment in a corner :anitoof:
Now that would make for a short commute!
When you do electrical, add at least a single outlet wherever you may or may not have an opener.
Definitely. The plan is to wire the building as if there are openers installed.

Speaking of wiring, I really need to get going on that - starting with drawing up an electrical plan. Time’s a wasting!

BuiltToWork

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Speaking of wiring, I really need to get going on that - starting with drawing up an electrical plan. Time’s a wasting!
Are you going to have a welder or large air compressor? When I get around to wiring my big shed, the 50amp draw from my welder is my only concern. And maybe a 20amp exhaust fan (not installed but there is a space for it)

You must be registered for see images attach

I'm getting rid of my roll up door and am going to install barn doors - for mor free and clear ceil space:

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Are you going to have a welder or large air compressor? When I get around to wiring my big shed, the 50amp draw from my welder is my only concern. And maybe a 20amp exhaust fan (not installed but there is a space for it)
Even though I don’t know how to weld, I would like to learn. The plan is to have a welder eventually, but I’m not sure where it will go. The panel will have enough room to accommodate the 50A breaker but I’ll probably wait to actually run the wire, due to expense. The building has open framing, so running the cable later shouldn’t be a big deal.

I also expect to have a larger air compressor at some point, but have a small portable compressor that I can make do with in the meantime.

An exhaust fan is in my future as well, as the building doesn’t have any venting.

I'm getting rid of my roll up door and am going to install barn doors - for mor free and clear ceil space:

Barn doors are cool. Wish they would work in my building.

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While getting ready to do the wiring, I realized that I don't own a tall enough stepladder to hang the lights and the upper wiring. I looked into renting a lift, but out here it's pretty expensive, plus there's a $200 delivery fee tacked on. In any case, I need a tall stepladder for at least two other projects that aren't accessible to a lift.

So I went ladder shopping; going back and forth between a 10' and a 12'. According to the specs, the 10’ should work. And when I looked at both in the rack at Lowes, it seemed that the 12' was more than needed. So I bought the 10’, got it home, and discovered that it isn't quite tall enough to work safely and comfortably in the center of the span. It needs just one more step. SMH.

I briefly considered using the top step - and may have done so a few decades ago - but no way is that happening now. It would have been stupid back then, and even more so now at my, ah, advanced age. :anitoof:

So it's back to Lowes in the next couple of days to swap it for the 12' version.

BTW, having done a fair amount of rock climbing back in the day, I’m pretty agile, and still have my rack and harness. It won’t be difficult to rig a tether for working in the upper part of the span, just in case.

FWIW, I found that a 10' stepladder will fit nicely inside of a Suburban, with some room to spare. And the 12' looks like it just might fit; it will be very close. If it doesn't fit inside, it will go home on the roof rack.

GrimsterGMC

Thunder from "Down Under"
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working with roofers for 40 years and have seen too many ladder related injuries. Always be sure the ladder is firmly footed and never go past the last step. In saying that, the most unexpected injury has been from mistaking how many steps to the ground and stepping off one step too soon. This will result in a shattered ankle nearly every time as your whole body weight suddenly drops only to stop abruptly on that one joint. So be careful, you want to be enjoying that awesome shed for many years to come.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
While getting ready to do the wiring, I realized that I don't own a tall enough stepladder to hang the lights and the upper wiring. I looked into renting a lift, but out here it's pretty expensive, plus there's a $200 delivery fee tacked on. In any case, I need a tall stepladder for at least two other projects that aren't accessible to a lift.

So I went ladder shopping; going back and forth between a 10' and a 12'. According to the specs, the 10’ should work. And when I looked at both in the rack at Lowes, it seemed that the 12' was more than needed. So I bought the 10’, got it home, and discovered that it isn't quite tall enough to work safely and comfortably in the center of the span. It needs just one more step. SMH.

I briefly considered using the top step - and may have done so a few decades ago - but no way is that happening now. It would have been stupid back then, and even more so now at my, ah, advanced age. :anitoof:

So it's back to Lowes in the next couple of days to swap it for the 12' version.

BTW, having done a fair amount of rock climbing back in the day, I’m pretty agile, and still have my rack and harness. It won’t be difficult to rig a tether for working in the upper part of the span, just in case.

FWIW, I found that a 10' stepladder will fit nicely inside of a Suburban, with some room to spare. And the 12' looks like it just might fit; it will be very close. If it doesn't fit inside, it will go home on the roof rack.

At least you won't be on an extension ladder, set up in a pickup bed and propped on a roof beam. Did that many years ago when hanging lights in our shop building, and it was not a pleasant experience. I didn't fall, but it was one of the scariest things I have ever done.....
Do you have someone available who can hold the ladder to stabilize it some?

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have been working with roofers for 40 years and have seen too many ladder related injuries. Always be sure the ladder is firmly footed and never go past the last step. In saying that, the most unexpected injury has been from mistaking how many steps to the ground and stepping off one step too soon. This will result in a shattered ankle nearly every time as your whole body weight suddenly drops only to stop abruptly on that one joint. So be careful, you want to be enjoying that awesome shed for many years to come.
Thanks - you're absolutely correct. Fortunately I have a healthy respect for ladders. As you rightly point out, it's all too easy to wind up injured when using one. Especially on a concrete floor.

Something I learned in rock climbing is to always look at my feet as I climb down anything steep, including a ladder. I've seen a lot of people on job sites either looking straight ahead or off to the side when climbing down ladders, and 'feeling' their way with their feet. It's a common but dangerous practice, as it can lead to the sorts of injuries you describe.

Turns out the 12' stepladder is 3" wider at the base than the 10' version, which arguably makes it a bit more stable. It also has two more steps than the 10', which means I'd gain 12" of additional height and not have to use the highest allowable step to reach what I need to; or at least as often. With the 10' I'd be at its design limit the whole time and still not have enough reach.