Clicking sound from steering shaft?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Recently installed a Cunningham steering shaft on my truck and I noticed a clicking sound when turning looked around and it appears that the upper u joint is causing a clicking noise. Anyone had this issue? Everything’s tightened down so I’m not sure what else to do…

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Recently installed a Cunningham steering shaft on my truck and I noticed a clicking sound when turning looked around and it appears that the upper u joint is causing a clicking noise. Anyone had this issue? Everything’s tightened down so I’m not sure what else to do…

Video might be helpful here, maybe…

What year truck? The column bearing could be worn out and that could be your noise.

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Video might be helpful here, maybe…

What year truck? The column bearing could be worn out and that could be your noise.
It’s a 1994 Chevy k1500 I replaced the column bearing with one of those wolff bearings and it’s as tight as can be. The gear box is new the whole steering system is new. And how do I put a video in here I don’t see a option for it.

someotherguy

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
When you click the 3-dot icon next to the image icon on the toolbar, for "more options" you'll see the image/video icon. You can't post videos directly to the forum, but you can link them with that function - probably the easiest is from youtube.

Richard

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
When you click the 3-dot icon next to the image icon on the toolbar, for "more options" you'll see the image/video icon. You can't post videos directly to the forum, but you can link them with that function - probably the easiest is from youtube.

Richard
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media
Here is a video of it

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah it kind of sounds like it’s from there but there’s not much light or zoom so it’s hard to tell.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah I’m gonna look into it this weekend I should’ve got a better video sorry lol
All good man! It’s possible that it is loose. Maybe not on the connection you can see but on the other side of the firewall. Wouldn’t hurt to re-check those set screws and nuts.

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
All good man! It’s possible that it is loose. Maybe not on the connection you can see but on the other side of the firewall. Wouldn’t hurt to re-check those set screws and nuts.
yeah I had just gotten home and was ready to head in but wanted to figure out what the noise was… I just rebuilt my entire steering and suspension system with a new gear box and everything so naturally there’s some new noises. My brakes squeaking and the steering shaft popping is all I hear so far.. steering is a lot tighter now that’s for sure.

MrobsMan

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Quick update for you guys. I fixed it it turned out to be one of the set screws not being seated properly so i retightened it all and no more popping