Need help with putting a cam in my truck

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

chasem32

Reaction score
So I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 with the 350 vortec motor and 4L60 transmission, it is all stock accept from cold air intake and a small little tuner on it and I am planning on putting a cam in it soon and I no nothing about this stuff at all, I’m still trying to learn and I’m a young kid and just wanting to learn. I’m not sure how to pick out the cam I need, I want a aggressive loud sound to it that is all I know. I just need some help on picking the right cam out and if there is anything else I should do to the motor or transmission when I put a aftermarket cam in it, help would be appreciated thank you!

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
So I have a 1997 Chevy K1500 with the 350 vortec motor and 4L60 transmission, it is all stock accept from cold air intake and a small little tuner on it and I am planning on putting a cam in it soon and I no nothing about this stuff at all, I’m still trying to learn and I’m a young kid and just wanting to learn. I’m not sure how to pick out the cam I need, I want a aggressive loud sound to it that is all I know. I just need some help on picking the right cam out and if there is anything else I should do to the motor or transmission when I put a aftermarket cam in it, help would be appreciated thank you!
First off..... welcome from Alberta Canada.
2nd.....head over to the introduction section and say hi as well, and post some pics of your truck, we like pics.

As for the cam. If you have spent any time on here in regards to camshaft swapping you will have learned a few things.
Choppy cams always give up power somewhere.
No one on here will have the "right" answer for YOUR specific needs and powertrain combo.
Call a cam manufacturer or two, preferably the one you want to buy from. They will know what's best. They will ask about torque converter, rear gears, and any mods, current or future. They known.

And for other mods. Don't forget your engine is just a big air pump. So anything you can do to help air in or out is beneficial. Think intake, headers and exhaust.

And don't forget about tuning!!!!
The more you you go from stock, its harder for the ECM to actually run correctly.

So ya.....my two Canadian pennies tossed into the conversation.
Others may have better answers, or more importantly the answers YOU wasn't to hear. Lol

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Radical cams and stock computer will create hate and discontent. Nobody will be happy, you or the truck. It wants to create smooth , efficient power. You can get a cam design for a little more power torque, Edelbrock has some. Fuel mix is computer controlled , wildly radical cam at lower rpm will appear as a malfunction exceeding allowed parameters.
It's not the same as change cam , reject the carb, check timing and go.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Buy the cam your engine needs, and the exhaust you want.

Don't trust any of us random internet dudes to tell you what cam to get. Call a cam company.

A big cam requires a lot of mods. Ask me how I know. Or click in my signature on Way Cool Jr's build thread.

Want a cheap upgrade? Buy a set of Elgin self-aligning 1.6 rocker arms. They'll increase your lift about .035" and give you a couple degrees more duration for only $116 versus $300 for a cam.

Got a welder and know how to use it? Build your own exhaust with long-tube headers, 2.5" tubing, a crossover, free-flowing cats, and some Cherry Bomb Salute mufflers. You'll get the sound you want.