Cheap Speaker Upgrades for 88-94 Interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
@OP don’t be cutting up your interior pieces! Those are not available new and can be hard to find used. Take your time and they will come out.
Yeah, it takes some patience. Those clips that hold the panels near the rear window suck...

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK, speakers are here!

I didn't realize I needed adapters, so while I wait for them to arrive, I've been trying to ascertain how the new speakers will fit.

The originals are surprisingly still in fair condition (the truck came with a dash cover, which may have helped preserve the OE speakers, assuming it's been there for most of the truck's existence), so I'll probably keep them for... something. (If I ever want or need to sell or otherwise get rid of the truck, or simply decide I want to use the new speakers elsewhere, it'll be good to keep the OE speakers, so I can just reinstall them if needed).

Meanwhile, the new speaker on the drivers side only seems to fit with the tweeter on the inside. My understanding is that installing the speakers "tweeters in" (pointing at each other) will result in a narrower sound stage), but I don't really mind, given that it would still be quite an improvement. I'm just not sure if there's a "right" way install the speakers wherein "tweeters in" is somehow bad.

Thoughts?

c

Last edited:

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
Meanwhile, the new speaker on the drivers side only seems to fit with the tweeter on the inside. My understanding is that installing the speakers "tweeters in" (pointing at each other) will result in a narrower sound stage), but I don't really mind, given that it would still be quite an improvement. I'm just not sure if there's a "right" way install the speakers wherein "tweeters in" is somehow bad.

Run it, you won't notice any difference. That's just how it goes sometimes with oblong plate speakers in tight spaces.