Cheap Speaker Upgrades for 88-94 Interior

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

DerekTheGreat

Forum Regular
Reaction score
I'm running a stock stereo with those Infinity Kappa's and I highly recommend 'em. You'll have to get a bit creative when mounting in them in the rear, least on regular cab models. I ended up flipping them such that the tweeters were on bottom and I used sections of rubber hose to raise the speakers up a bit since they didn't sit flush without 'em.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
OK.

How about the big cabs with rear doors and full back seats? Was that even a thing on 88-94 GM trucks?

c
Those are crew cabs.
From small to big..... there were regular, extended and crew cabs.
And ya, crew cabs were definitely a thing, they actually made them m into 2000 or so in the 2500/3500 series.

jimwin

Reaction score
I can also vouch for the Infinity Kappas. I used the Kappas (6 1/2") in the front doors of my 95 GMC regular cab, and Infinity Reference 4x6 in the pillar behind the seats. The Kappas 4x6 plates are too deep for that fitment - Amazon said they'd work, but Crutchfield actually measures things and said they wouldn't. Trust Crutchfield :)

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Those are crew cabs.
From small to big..... there were regular, extended and crew cabs.
And ya, crew cabs were definitely a thing, they actually made them m into 2000 or so in the 2500/3500 series.
Ah, OK. I get it now!

So, for the Kappas, do I need to rewire things to make them work and/or install crossovers (since they appear to have separate tweeters and woofers), or are they "plug and play" speakers with all that crossover stuff built in?

c

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ah, OK. I get it now!

So, for the Kappas, do I need to rewire things to make them work and/or install crossovers (since they appear to have separate tweeters and woofers), or are they "plug and play" speakers with all that crossover stuff built in?

c
I would think they would be "plug and play" with built in x-overs, like 99.999999% sure. If you get them from Cruchfield, usually they send adapters so you just unplug the factory plug and plug the adapter in after wiring it to the speakers. That's way there is no cutting of the factory wiring.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
Yes the "crossover" (which is basically just a high-pass capacitor) is built-in so they are plug and play.

cc333

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Yes the "crossover" (which is basically just a high-pass capacitor) is built-in so they are plug and play.
OK, that's good to know!

I think I'm going to go for it, so I'll try to report back with any updates.

I'm also attempting to refurb the tape deck, and while the old belt still "works", it obviously needs to be replaced soon, so does anyone know what size I should get?

c