Blew a bearing, is my spindle reusable?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Way over thinking this. Ground up bearings and damaged spindle. Replace the damn thing and get new bearings and pack them full of grease, the correct way, and install new seal and adjust end play correctly, cotter pin and install cap. Tear down the other side and clean/inspect and put new grease and seal and adjust correctly. This repair and maintenance is as simple as it gets. Move on.

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The spindle isn’t hard to change on these trucks. I had never done any sort of front end work until last year. Though I know enough to be dangerous, it was not something I would consider difficult. @someotherguy laid out pretty much how I did it and I didn’t even look anything up prior to that. I did put a jack stand under my LCA while I worked on other parts of the front end. This kept the spring in place and I didn’t rely solely on the floor jack.

The mechanic may be right, it’s hard to say without being there or without seeing a very well made video of it. However, I think a lot of good info has been shared here advocating for a new used spindle. Hell if you want new you can buy a brand new one from Rock Auto. I’d probably grab a used one only after comparing to the other side and cleaning the surface with some emery cloth.

You could always blow the other side apart and see how that bearing feels and looks. Compare the two and let us know.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Here's my thread from last year.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Way over thinking this. Ground up bearings and damaged spindle. Replace the damn thing and get new bearings and pack them full of grease, the correct way, and install new seal and adjust end play correctly, cotter pin and install cap. Tear down the other side and clean/inspect and put new grease and seal and adjust correctly. This repair and maintenance is as simple as it gets.
New junkyard spindle just came in today, but I’m driving in it in the meantime until I get the time.
I also want to do my ball joints while I’m at it.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
New junkyard spindle just came in today, but I’m driving in it in the meantime until I get the time.
I also want to do my ball joints while I’m at it.
Ball joints at 42K miles? You sure you wanna go there? They're usually good for 100K+ easily, even if they've been neglected for greasing. When I finally replaced the ones on my old '92 they were around 225K but they were pretty bad, as well as the entire rest of the front end.

It's not a fun job. I wouldn't do it unless I could prove they were bad.

Richard