Aux cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
For maximum cooling you want the radiator cooler plumbed the opposite direction.
so hot oil entering the top of the rad cooler, cooling as it travels downward. i guess its not a huge deal regardless as long as you dont swap where the oil reenters the transmission. i know for a fact the cool oil return to the transmission from the top port of the transmission

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
this is the way. post #2 called it.
That is not the way for maximum cooling. That diagram atleast at the radiator is opposite of every GM product I have owned. Factory cooler flow is down in the radiator cooler, from top to bottom.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
so hot oil entering the top of the rad cooler, cooling as it travels downward. i guess its not a huge deal regardless as long as you dont swap where the oil reenters the transmission. i know for a fact the cool oil return to the transmission from the top port of the transmission
Transmission fluid outlet to the top of the radiator, bottom radiator outlet to the auxiliary cooler, then auxiliary cooler back to the transmissions fluid return port.

GM diagrams for heavy duty cooling.

You must be registered for see images attach

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I have a ~2,800 rpm converter in my 4L85E, towing an 8,000 lbs trailer this was my maximum fluid temps on a ~110F Texas summer day. I have the radiator cooler with a M7B plumbed after it and the Bowtie emblem cut out of my grille that the cooler sits behind. I was running 70-75 mph and not taking my time getting rolling from a stop either at the time. With the line to lube mod done it runs even cooler now as the cooler circuit gets more flow.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
I have a ~2,800 rpm converter in my 4L85E, towing an 8,000 lbs trailer this was my maximum fluid temps on a ~110F Texas summer day. I have the radiator cooler with a M7B plumbed after it and the Bowtie emblem cut out of my grille that the cooler sits behind. I was running 70-75 mph and not taking my time getting rolling from a stop either at the time. With the line to lube mod done it runs even cooler now as the cooler circuit gets more flow.

Line lube mod? Do you have an early or late 4L80?

mikNtx

Reaction score
understood. i did not come in to change anyone's opinion or thought. in all honesty, the short pass into the radiator side tank is minimal and not a full conductive path. the delta is not huge. if you have cracked open a radiator side tank, you'll see what i mean. all i wanted to show for fun is design intent and maybe why stuff is done. the important part is putting the external cooler last in the path back into to the transmission. the flow diagram is based on best practice. if there are other reasons to change it by application, so be it.

i still agree with post#2. i also believe the flow pic was ripped from the corvette forums. does not matter. it's what anyone would do from scratch.

i appreciate the conversation. it's all good.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

maybe hd cooling is only for 4l80e not 4l60?