Aux cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
understood. i did not come in to change anyone's opinion or thought. in all honesty, the short pass into the radiator side tank is minimal and not a full conductive path. the delta is not huge. if you have cracked open a radiator side tank, you'll see what i mean. all i wanted to show for fun is design intent and maybe why stuff is done. the important part is putting the external cooler last in the path back into to the transmission. the flow diagram is based on best practice. if there are other reasons to change it by application, so be it.

i still agree with post#2. i also believe the flow pic was ripped from the corvette forums. does not matter. it's what anyone would do from scratch.

i appreciate the conversation. it's all good.
Not sure what you mean by delta is not huge. It is over 70F at times. Even at idle I saw nearly 40F. Fluid to fluid cooling transfers far more BTU for a given surface area.

Last edited:

mikNtx

Reaction score
Not sure what you mean by delta is not huge. It is over 70F at times.
my apologies. my belief is that the temperature difference in a short pass hx is not that much. it is better than nothing. i will say i personally run bypass trans coolers in two toyota trucks, but they are higher trans cooling capacity.

follow up: i seent the toyota strawberry milkshake. never again. we're all happy now. these are simple things. let's agree to help swervinbourbon.

Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
my apologies. my belief is that the temperature difference in a short pass hx is not that much. it is better than nothing. i will say i personally run bypass trans coolers in two toyota trucks, but they are higher trans cooling capacity.
The harder the transmission, especially the torque converter is working, the hotter the fluid leaving the cooler outlet will be. The cooler flow is fluid dumped from the converter. The radiator cold side where the cooler sits runs in the 130-140F range in 110F ambient in my testing. When the transmission is working hard the fluid outlet temperature from the converter can rise to as much as 200-220F. The radiator cooler has a large delta in that situation. The auxiliary cooler has a much smaller delta cooling the fluid down to near ambient.

mikNtx

Reaction score
l31, i hear you. the purity of my earlier statements are true. these are basic practices. the big deal is cooler last into the trans. do i like where it is located? probably not, but it's mo betta than cooler sitting on front of radiator think airflow. rocks n stuff. front end is a high pressure dead spot. front is pulling a bit from fan. you are not getting the airflow we want to get.

i think i've said what already needs to be said. else, we need to drink a beer. you seem local. i'm frisco.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Drilling the pump or swapping the pressure regulator valve.

I drilled something in my pump and changed a (boost?) valve out when I did the 4L80 swap on my 1500. I'd have to ask if that was done on the dually. I did have the same Superior shift kit installed in that one as the 1500 because I like the way the 1500 shifts. Quick, but doesn't bang.