Aux cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
It doesn't really matter at what angle you mount the cooler, as long as it gets air flow.

My experience says air rises, so if possible mount it so the return line is on the top.
It is a closed- pressurized system there is not going to be any air bubbles in it. The main reason that I asked is that the factory units are mounted with the lines on the bottom.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had to mount one sideways like that on the 87 G20. I plumbed mine how GM did. Fluid inlet on the top, outlet on the bottom. Allows fluid to drain back to the pan when the engine is shut off allowing you to be able to replace the rubber line section in the future without a huge mess.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ok so according to this diagram and as Nad previously stated, the lower transmission port (pressure or supply) routes to the bottom port of the radiator, this cools the fluid and sends it up out to through the top port of the radiator. (Now i believe that this diagram has the aux cooler mounted in the same orientation as i did pictured above); if so, the once cooled fluid exits the top port of the radiator then routing to the bottom most port of the aux cooler (inlet), then passes up through the aux cooler getting cooled once again before exiting the top port of the aux cooler (outlet) making its way back to the top port of the transmission (return port).

The only question i want to confirm is does the fluid going from bottom to top help with keeping air out or is it better for the fluid to travel from top to bottom of the aux? The radiator cools from bottom to the top so im guessing the same goes for the aux cooler as shown in this diagram.

Attachments

• 4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 25
  • screenshot-172-png-4123068914.png
    screenshot-172-png-4123068914.png
    129 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok so according to this diagram and as Nad previously stated, the lower transmission port (pressure or supply) routes to the bottom port of the radiator, this cools the fluid and sends it up out to through the top port of the radiator. (Now i believe that this diagram has the aux cooler mounted in the same orientation as i did pictured above); if so, the once cooled fluid exits the top port of the radiator then routing to the bottom most port of the aux cooler, then passes through the aux cooler getting cooled once more before exiting the top port of the aux cooler making its way back to the top port of the transmission (return port).

The only question i had with this is does the fluid going from bottom to top help with keeping air out or is it better for the fluid to travel from top to bottom of the aux? The radiator cools from bottom to the top so im guessing the same goes for the aux cooler as shown in this diagram.

These are GM diagrams. Inlets at the top, outlets on the bottom. The radiator is the coolest at the bottom near the outlet where the fluid exits the stock cooler.

This diagram does have the lines flipped at the transmission for some reason as I have never seen a GM with the fluid going through the auxiliary cooler first. I will say 95% of the GMs I have worked with have the fluid input at the top of the OE radiator cooler then it feeds the top of the auxiliary cooler if the cooler is mounted sideways.

You must be registered for see images attach

My 1999 Tahoe was plumbed like this and the OE cooler line replacements that went on my Express van when I 4L85E swapped it are plumbed the same way. The van did not have an OE auxiliary cooler but I added one to it.

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
These are GM diagrams. Inlets at the top, outlets on the bottom. The radiator is the coolest at the bottom near the outlet where the fluid exits the stock cooler.

This diagram does have the lines flipped at the transmission for some reason as I have never seen a GM with the fluid going through the auxiliary cooler first. I will say 95% of the GMs I have worked with have the fluid input at the top of the OE radiator cooler then it feeds the top of the auxiliary cooler if the cooler is mounted sideways.

My 1999 Tahoe was plumbed like this and the OE cooler line replacements that went on my Express van when I 4L85E swapped it are plumbed the same way. The van did not have an OE auxiliary cooler but I added one to it.
are you sure these arent for 4l80?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
This is wrong. I don't know why I have it. Fatigue?