Aux cooler lines

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I just dont wanna blow this transmission up went through alot of work to put her in lmaoo

Transmission fluid outlet to the radiator upper port, lower port to the auxiliary cooler, auxiliary cooler back to the transmission is the most effective cooling setup you can run.

I am cooling a transmission with 500 hp in front of it, a 2,800 rpm converter and in a 7,000 lbs vehicle that tows an 8,000 lbs trailer at times. I pulled a 40K stand alone cooler off that did not work effectively on a 115F Texas summer day and went to the current setup.

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Transmission fluid outlet to the radiator upper port, lower port to the auxiliary cooler, auxiliary cooler back to the transmission is the most effective cooling setup you can run.

I am cooling a transmission with 500 hp in front of it, a 2,800 rpm converter and in a 7,000 lbs vehicle that tows an 8,000 lbs trailer at times. I pulled a 40K stand alone cooler off that did not work effectively on a 115F Texas summer day and went to the current setup.
this is how it was plumbed before and the transmission grenaded, not sure if that caused it bcs it wasnt me but that just makes me think lol

udidwht

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

This is how the lines are routed on my 1994 Southwind Storm 28ft (P series chassis). The line from the radiator to the auxiliary cooler enters the bottom of the auxiliary cooler and then exits the top to return to the trans (4L80E0. Having the auxiliary lines enter & exit this way (bottom to top) ensures no air but also allows the fluid to pass thru slower to cool down more before returning to the trans.

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
This is how the lines are routed on my 1994 Southwind Storm 28ft (P series chassis). The line from the radiator to the auxiliary cooler enters the bottom of the auxiliary cooler and then exits the top to return to the trans (4L80E0. Having the auxiliary lines enter & exit this way (bottom to top) ensures no air but also allows the fluid to pass thru slower to cool down more before returning to the trans.
Ok that makes sense but he also said the bottom transmission cooler line goes to the top rad port, im pretty sure mine needs to go to the bottom rad port, exiting the top to go the the aux cooler

mikNtx

Reaction score
i read this thread a bit and appreciate it coming up. i got out an old heat transfer school book this morning and want throw out some stuff for fun*. what you're seeing in the 700r4/4l60 transflow pic posted earlier is a counter flow heat exchanger situation (within the radiator and the added cooler combo). yeah, the cooler is not coupled to the radiator, but the bottom/top flow of cooler is still opposite of radiator coolant flow. in the text pics, note the bulleted arrow directions, notes, and efficiency comment bulleted on last attachment

hook it up however you want (air pockets, etc.), but you have to be careful not to take two independent systems and create the opposite of the original intent of a counter flow to somewhat parallel flow.

* this post is for entertainment purposes only

Attachments

• heater_hose_path.jpg
    heater_hose_path.jpg
    214.5 KB · Views: 6
  • 4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240913_070325.jpg
    20240913_070325.jpg
    249.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20240913_070418.jpg
    20240913_070418.jpg
    192.4 KB · Views: 5
  • 20240913_070520.jpg
    20240913_070520.jpg
    240.1 KB · Views: 5

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
i read this thread a bit and appreciate it coming up. i got out an old heat transfer school book this morning and want throw out some stuff for fun*. what you're seeing in the 700r4/4l60 transflow pic posted earlier is a counter flow heat exchanger situation (within the radiator and the added cooler combo). yeah, the cooler is not coupled to the radiator, but the bottom/top flow of cooler is still opposite of radiator coolant flow. in the text pics, note the bulleted arrow directions, notes, and efficiency comment bulleted on last attachment

hook it up however you want (air pockets, etc.), but you have to be careful not to take two independent systems and create the opposite of the original intent of a counter flow to somewhat parallel flow.

What I have stated over and over that is the actual truth is GM had the radiator cooler flowing either direction depending on the year and model. In my 97 van for example the cooler has always had downward flow aka nearer parallel flow. You end up with cooler outlet temps with the downward flow with the fluid outlet being nearly at the radiator outlet where the coolant is the coolest. My 99 Tahoe was routed the same way as the van. Fluid inlet is at the top of the radiator on both. The van is still that way to this day.

Last edited:

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

so hook it up this way? thats what i originally was going to do

Attachments

• 4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    4l60e-transmission-cooler-lines-diagram-1544304731.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 3

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
What I have stated over and over that is the actual truth is GM had the radiator cooler flowing either direction depending on the year and model. In my 97 van for example the cooler has always had downward flow aka nearer parallel flow. You end up with cooler outlet temps with the downward flow with the fluid outlet being nearly at the radiator outlet where the coolant is the coolest. My 99 Tahoe was routed the same way as the van. Fluid inlet is at the top of the radiator on both. The van is still that way to this day.
the guy who had my truck before had it routed that way and the transmission blew, not sure if that cuased it but thats why im having this confusion and just want to make sure its good cant afford to blow a transmission i just put in lol. mine is a '96 model suburban produced in the month of May

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
the guy who had my truck before had it routed that way and the transmission blew, not sure if that cuased it but thats why im having this confusion and just want to make sure its good cant afford to blow a transmission i just put in lol. mine is a '96 model suburban produced in the month of May
For maximum cooling you want the radiator cooler plumbed the opposite direction.