Anyone had Rock auto do this to them?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

turbohvn

Reaction score
Ordered a New AC Delco “gold/premium” alternator from Rock Auto. I received an alternator in an AC Delco box that is the correct configuration, appears to be new, but looks nothing like the real deal AC Delco unit. No AC Delco name cast into the housing and no identifying marks to indicate part number or country of origin. Just a small sticker that says “manufactured for AC Delco”. Again, doesn’t look anything like the genuine articles. Rock Auto has no customer service except via email. And, nowhere in the help section forms can you explain what the concern is. Anybody experienced a similar scenario with Rock Auto?
BTW, I called AC Delco and was told that Rock Auto is NOT an authorized dealer/reseller of anything AC Delco!!!

Attachments

• 5AD39444-43C5-4E76-8884-7639D0A5E406.jpeg
    5AD39444-43C5-4E76-8884-7639D0A5E406.jpeg
    369.1 KB · Views: 41
  • 4876AA1D-C249-49F0-93F6-7CC2B9F44CC4.jpeg
    4876AA1D-C249-49F0-93F6-7CC2B9F44CC4.jpeg
    320.9 KB · Views: 40

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I've gotten some crappy parts from Rockauto before. But also from the local parts stores and other online retailers. Nothing's made like it used to be. I see the made in China sticker on the box. ACdelco is probably using cheaper castings that don't have the brand or part number anymore. I got an ACdelco coil a little while ago, and it was crooked on the armature right out of the box. Had a couple AC reman distributors too, both garbage. Nicks in wires, mismatched advance weights, they didn't even replace all the old electronics.

It's like they went from making stuff "decent" to "good enough". It'll probably work fine but I don't blame you for wanting better quality (I would too)

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Ordered a New AC Delco “gold/premium” alternator from Rock Auto. I received an alternator in an AC Delco box that is the correct configuration, appears to be new, but looks nothing like the real deal AC Delco unit. No AC Delco name cast into the housing and no identifying marks to indicate part number or country of origin. Just a small sticker that says “manufactured for AC Delco”. Again, doesn’t look anything like the genuine articles. Rock Auto has no customer service except via email. And, nowhere in the help section forms can you explain what the concern is. Anybody experienced a similar scenario with Rock Auto?
BTW, I called AC Delco and was told that Rock Auto is NOT an authorized dealer/reseller of anything AC Delco!!!

Not Rockauto, but Amazon..... rebuilt ACDelco alternator for my 69 Buick. It looks like it was rebuilt using ALL new parts likely fron China. I can't see anything on it that looks like original GM parts, not even the castings.

Rockauto likely isn't official for much, as they are simply a website. Everything they sell is a drop ship from a wholesaler or a manufacturer..... my Lares rag joint, I think came directly from Lares. Their closeouts aren't Rockauto closeouts. They're simply providing access to a couple outfits that specailize in closeouts.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, every part sold by Acdelco is manufactured for Acdelco. That being said, I’ve never seen a gold Acdelco box.

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
I checked. That’s the correct part and packaging. Delco gold is what you could say used to be normal Delco and Delco silver / advantage line is comparable , ie white box equivalent/ cheap line aftermarket.

Almost the entire lineup of the Delco professional/old durastop line brake pads are supplied by Raybestos and are their element 3 line

A lot of the Delco gold chassis parts now are reboxed mevotech supreme line parts.

454cid

Sooper Pooper
Reaction score
Also, every part sold by Acdelco is manufactured for Acdelco. That being said, I’ve never seen a gold Acdelco box.

GM still makes a few things. It's just no where near the old days. Probably body panels would have the highest GM made percentage. They do their own engines and transmissions, and some axles... of course they'll have purchased components, within those assemblies, but GM still does have a least one foundry I can think of (Defiance Ohio).

ACDelco Gold is the new labeling for the "Professional" line. Silver replaced their "Advantage" line.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I find it odd that they claim RockAuto is not an authorized dealer yet most of the stuff I buy from them ends up drop shipped from the same local AC Delco warehouse.

L31MaxExpress

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I checked. That’s the correct part and packaging. Delco gold is what you could say used to be normal Delco and Delco silver / advantage line is comparable , ie white box equivalent/ cheap line aftermarket.

Almost the entire lineup of the Delco professional/old durastop line brake pads are supplied by Raybestos and are their element 3 line

A lot of the Delco gold chassis parts now are reboxed mevotech supreme line parts.
Most of the AC stuff is reboxed Four Seasons as well.

AC Delco coils, caps and rotors have been on my list of parts not to buy for about 10 years now.