Anybody on here have to replace the starter or your truck?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check for voltage drop across you battery cables... Especially if you're still using side post terminals!

gmcyukondriver

Built, not bought.
Reaction score
If you're using the side post terminals, pull them off your battery and check for corrosion between the cables. Make sure you get those contacts good and clean. Battery cleaner with a wire bristle brush will get them like new. If that isn't it, check your voltage at the starter. If it's getting juice, it might be the starter.

Has it ever failed to crank? (You turn the key to start it, and just get a metallic clunk sound, and the engine doesn't turn over). That's usually the telltale sign of a starter going bad. If it's cranking, just not firing, then check your air/fuel delivery and ignition system.

Horns

Tiff's Wedding Crasher
Reaction score
I have a feeling he is talking about a hard start issue like my truck has. Most of the time it will fire right up, others it will crank like normal but no fire for atleast a second or 2 then when it fires it stumbles up to normal idle speed.

Mine does this if it has sat over night. If I turn the key on and let the fuel pump pump for a few seconds before turning it over it starts right up every time.

I'm assuming mine is slowly bleeding off fuel pressure somewhere.

~Via Mobile \,,/

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Original battery cables & ground straps? If they are corroded at the terminals, chances are that that is throughout the length of them. Especially if they are the orig.'s. Check the resistance with an ohm meter to be sure. Do 'The Big Three'. Baron (MeanGreen) sells an exceptional kit.

Ruger_556

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Original battery cables & ground straps? If they are corroded at the terminals, chances are that that is throughout the length of them. Especially if they are the orig.'s. Check the resistance with an ohm meter to be sure. Do 'The Big Three'. Baron (MeanGreen) sells an exceptional kit.

Voltage drop test would tell you more... Clip your test leads on either side of the cable being tested while on the DC voltage setting. Number displayed while cranking will be the voltage drop across the battery cable (Battery stud to starter). Should be a very low number.

sewlow

Bitchin' Stitchin'
Reaction score
Voltage drop test would tell you more... Clip your test leads on either side of the cable being tested while on the DC voltage setting. Number displayed while cranking will be the voltage drop across the battery cable (Battery stud to starter). Should be a very low number.

There ya go! Good stuff!

Hezsus

Mr. Truck
Reaction score
I had this same thing, Was the starter, or the wiring on the started corroded off, the small solenoid wire and i reded the large lugs as well, starts like a champ now (2 850cca batteries as well)

GrumpyOldTruck

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I had this same thing, Was the starter, or the wiring on the started corroded off, the small solenoid wire and i reded the large lugs as well, starts like a champ now (2 850cca batteries as well)

thank you I'll have to check that when I get the time. I'm started to feel pretty confident it's the starter. it looks extremely rusty too

jdyates

Ghetto Racetruck
Reaction score
The starter is an incredible pain in the ass to replace. It's extremely heavy and in a bad spot. Took three of us to do mine, while i was able to do my buddy's F-150 starter by myself with one hand.