L29 454 MODS

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Supercharged111

Truly Awesome
Reaction score
Most of the stuff you have there isn't necessarily bad, just not a lot of bang for buck and really not doing much without tuning. I wouldn't bother with black bear. If you have enough money to throw around to have those parts, I would start with an 0411 swap and then get yourself HP tuners or EFI live and start messing with it yourself. The biggest bang for buck you are going to get with an L29 is the tune.. by far. Next best thing is a cam upgrade. The stock cam is pretty retarded(I think something like 7 degrees) and small. Lots of guys seem to like the Comp Xtreme energy 01-411-8, I got a similar grind from Delta Camshaft by pulling my stock camshaft and sending it to them for a regrind. They do quality work and have been around forever, it was only $140 and 2 week turnaround. I would probably pull the front cover, replace the reluctor, change out the cam, and swap the computer to the 0411. Then you can hook up an MPVI3 tool and tune to your hearts content.

I've also heard the retard may be built into the stock timing gears. If it is, I'm kicking myself for just sticking a new chain on mine.

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Wow OK, thank you so much. I heard about the cam and was going to get one when I had the hole front end apart for the paint. Which is when I did the heads, this was during covid and I couldn't find one but having mine done would be fine. Thank you guys for the lead on that. I want to do the 0411 swap and if it's a step to get rid of the ole distribution setup I'm in. Which I'm still trying to wrap my head around the distribution delete. I've watched some videos on the 0411 swap and I am pretty confident that I can do that.
Tuning myself scares me but like most everything you have to learn somehow and time I guess.
I'm sure the truck could use a new timing chain also. I think that I have a new chain set and a Holley cover around but I guess I'll be needing the Efi connection cover for the distributor delete.
You think the gears should be changed too for timing?
Would roller rockers be any benefit?
I bought a set with the stud adapters then was told that it's not worth putting them on it.
Thank you guys for the input

Last edited:

BeXtreme

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wow OK, thank you so much. I heard about the cam and was going to get one when I had the hole front end apart for the paint. Which is when I did the heads, this was during covid and I couldn't find one but having mine done would be fine. Thank you guys for the lead on that. I want to do the 0411 swap and if it's a step to get rid of the ole distribution setup I'm in. Which I'm still trying to wrap my head around the distribution delete. I've watched some videos on the 0411 swap and I am pretty confident that I can do that.
Tuning myself scares me but like most everything you have to learn somehow and time I guess.
I'm sure the truck could use a new timing chain also. I think that I have a new chain set and a Holley cover around but I guess I'll be needing the Efi connection cover for the distributor delete.
You think the gears should be changed too for timing?
Would roller rockers be any benefit?
I bought a set with the stud adapters then was told that it's not worth putting them on it.
Thank you guys for the input
You would need the EFI connection cover if you want to fully get rid of the distributor, but it isn't needed to go to LS coil packs. You can use the stock distributor and just remove the rotor and cap. EFI Connection sells the blank cap for it. You then are just using the stock distributor as the cam sensor only and replace the 4x reluctor on the crank with the EFI Connection 24x reluctor while retaining the stock cover and crank sensor. Then it is just a matter of wiring in the 7 wires on each side for LS coil pack harnesses. I went to the local junkyard and pulled the harnesses from an early tahoe all the way back to the red/blue connectors for a few bucks.

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
O wow, ok thank you for the clarity I can do that. I'm OK with the distributor staying with the cap unless there is an add benefit going the other route. Does the computer matter or any ls one? I like the way the coils are on the valve covers but the ls covers are probably different too?
Then I can sell that expensive msd dis kit.
Thank you

Carlaisle

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Headers will definitely work on your truck, although they may be more of a challenge if you have lowered it. The factory air filter housing is superior to what you have on it now. The roller rockers will free up some some horsepower, but it's pretty low ROI on a big block in a heavy truck. Depending on which ones you have they may not fit under the stock valve covers. Tall covers, different rockers, a doubled up valve cover gasket, and/or different poly locks may be required - you'll just have to test the fit and see. The L29 uses a single roller timing chain and different cover from the older BBCs. The valve covers with the built in mounts for the individual coil packs are not terribly common. Brackets or some custom fabrication can solve that problem if you want them mounted on top of the valve covers.

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The headers that I have on it are not long, the truck is 4wd. It's on air ride 5 inches of travel like a coilover conversion up front. Linked in the rear with axle over bags abs a sway bar. The headers are Gibson ceramic coated with 3" mandrel bent tube crossover and down. I have dual 3" cats with Gibson dual 3" in one 4" out with a 5" tip. It's for the 8.1 suburban on there site I had to add stainless tube for my length.
I've always wondered about the air intake but it brings up more questions.
What air filter in it? A k&n type or regular
Would the silencer make a difference on or off? I believe that's what it's called
My 85mm throttle body a waste of money too then?
I'll have to double check what roller rockers I have I believe I discussed with comp cams guy keeping my stock valve covers because I don't think a taller valve cover would fit with the stock intake. I think it would hit the throttle body.
I did have a guy make up mounts for my msd kit to mount the coils on the valve covers I'll have to find those.
Thank you guys for the input super helpful

Attachments

• 20210227_105234.jpg
    20210227_105234.jpg
    265.8 KB · Views: 6
  • 20231016_100717.jpg
    20231016_100717.jpg
    126.3 KB · Views: 6
  • Screenshot_20231011-175342_Photos.jpg
    Screenshot_20231011-175342_Photos.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:

dzynda

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Only make your own stuff that I've ever seen, maybe someone else has. I only know of one forced induction system still available which is procharger. Which I've heard that it's not available anymore, it's on the web site.