Another Fun Project- 97 K1500

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Truck looks good, it's so 90's! If you would decide to do the 4l80e swap, you should be able to get driveshafts from the k1500 with a 6.5, rather than modify yours.
Whatever you do, a build thread with plenty of pics would be appreciated.
I wasn't sure about it at first but you just gotta love it! Oh, that's a great idea. Maybe I'll go to the pull a part to see what they want for a trans and driveshafts, rather than rebuilding the 4L60e. Build thread will definitely happen, or I'll just put it in here. I'll have to research the trans output shafts and the T-case that's in the truck to make sure everything would fit.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
You must be registered for see images attach

Picked up this 4L80E and NP241 for $300 this last weekend. Came out of a 95 454 dually, fluid is red and the seller said it shifted fine before it was pulled. I figure I should go through it anyway just to check it over. Now to find some driveshafts.

As far as I know, I shouldn't have too many problems putting a 95 trans in the 97, apart from needing a flywheel and maybe a few different sensors. Anybody more knowledgeable know some things I'm not aware of?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd put the "red fluid, shifts fine" transmission in place with nothing more than maybe a filter 'n' fluid change. See what's in the pan. Same for the transfer case. Change fluid, look for debris. If it looks good...run it.

No sense creating problems by overhauling it until you know for certain that it's got defects.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
If this were me, I'd put the "red fluid, shifts fine" transmission in place with nothing more than maybe a filter 'n' fluid change. See what's in the pan. Same for the transfer case. Change fluid, look for debris. If it looks good...run it.

No sense creating problems by overhauling it until you know for certain that it's got defects.
You think so? I was thinking along the lines of might as while do it while you're in there, but I spose if you, the very technical guy would do it, it might not be the worst idea. But then again, it is a 4L80e, so pretty damn much bulletproof. It would help me get it going sooner, so I probably might as well.

I suppose then I can fix it and drive it while I trans swap my 96 and do the other 12.64 million things I want to do.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Check the side play in the output shaft. I have a used 4L80 for Roscoe, and when I went to put a new tailhousing seal on it I found .075" play in the output shaft. I'm probably just going to run in anyways until the transmission gets a full rebuild.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the side play in the output shaft. I have a used 4L80 for Roscoe, and when I went to put a new tailhousing seal on it I found .075" play in the output shaft. I'm probably just going to run in anyways until the transmission gets a full rebuild.
Good idea. I'm splitting the two, so I can check both shafts. But ouch, makes me wonder what someone did to your trans.