Fun on a budget- My 96 Sierra 2500 454

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Wheels look sharp! I bet the soundtrack is much improved, and the electrically operated
dumps would be great fun -- along the lines of some melodic train horns. :0)

Try to fill your head with the sound of your big block burbling out of your HiFi exhaust...for
there are those who wish to make the big block go the way of the steam locomotive.

Mint as many memories as possible before they make this kind of patriotic recreation illegal. :)
Thank you sir! That would be exactly the purpose, for no other reason than having fun and listening to the beauty of open headers on a big block. And scaring the crap out of people who suck at driving, as you said, a better train horn.

Unfortunately there are, but there's too many people that love them. All I can say is they won't be making it illegal or punishing us as long as we've got something to say about it!

South VA

K2500 454 Long Roof
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Pretty happy with the way it turned out. So it's Hedman long tubes into cutouts (electric at a later date), then Flowmaster FlowFXs, back through a Cherry Bomb Salute. It's 3 inch all the way back to the Cherry Bomb, 2.5 after that. It is surprisingly quiet for being straight through mufflers all the way, sounds great too. Got a bit of bark when you stand on it. From the butt dyno, those headers did add a good amount of low end torque, it squeaks the tires from a stoplight now.

For visual things on the truck, I finally painted the wheels black about a month ago. They look a million times better. I polished up the trim rings and they look amazing now.
You must be registered for see images attach

Anyhow, that's the short version, I didn't feel like detailing all the pain that was brought by trying to do the exhaust the first time.
Looking good - wheels and underneath! :waytogo:

And yeah, I'll bet it sounds wonderful. :biggrin:

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Mine and my grandpa's 99 Suburban.

I also picked up a compass/temp mirror from the pull a part. Got the mirror, sensor and wire cover channel all for 14 bucks. Gotta love uninformed LKQ workers! Oh, and I finally grabbed a piece of molding for the passenger side door. I'll post pictures when I get the stuff done.

454C2500Longbed

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Forgot I never posted the solution. The same day I went and picked up two Toyo Open Country ATs for $100 and put them on. The drive to go get them was a bit sketchy, was about a half hour on the freeway one way. Found that the skull rattling shake went away at about 60 and then about 80. 70 was terrible, felt like the truck would shake itself apart.

And then just a bit ago I pulled the DRL module and the door chime. Add those to the list of the stupidest things on these trucks. I have regained some of my sanity now that they're gone. I do plan to stick the door chime back in after chopping a couple prongs off so it only goes off when I leave the headlights on. In fact, why don't I do that now.