94 k1500 intermittently dies under load

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Spankbank850

Reaction score
I got it. You can unplug the temp "sensor" and see what happens and you can pull the IAC valve and check the pintle and clean and use carb clean when you do. The port where the pintle moves is also known for carbon build up and can be cleaned.

You have a coolant temp sensor for the fuel injection system. Acts like a choke. You have a coolant temp sender that feeds info to gauge. The sensor will be right at the thermostat housing. The chugging feeling is a classic sign of a fuel delivery problem and even though you have a new fuel pump and filter, there still may be fuel delivery system components causing problems.
Thanks for the info. Going to grab both sensors and a rebuild kit for the throttle body. I'll do the repairs one at a time so I know what fixes it, and I'll keep you guys updated. Thanks again for the help

Spankbank850

Reaction score
I got it. You can unplug the temp "sensor" and see what happens and you can pull the IAC valve and check the pintle and clean and use carb clean when you do. The port where the pintle moves is also known for carbon build up and can be cleaned.

You have a coolant temp sensor for the fuel injection system. Acts like a choke. You have a coolant temp sender that feeds info to gauge. The sensor will be right at the thermostat housing. The chugging feeling is a classic sign of a fuel delivery problem and even though you have a new fuel pump and filter, there still may be fuel delivery system components causing problems.
If I unplug the "sensor" next to the thermostat housing and the it starts idling rough, that would indicate the sensor is still good correct?

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Sounds like I need to replace both then if the gauge is acting up. Thanks for the info boss
When you do unplug both, look for dirty/loose/corroded connectors. Sometimes the connector, depending on design, can have the female to male connection push backwards in the connector housing when pushed together.

Spankbank850

Reaction score
When you do unplug both, look for dirty/loose/corroded connectors. Sometimes the connector, depending on design, can have the female to male connection push backwards in the connector housing when pushed together.
The pigtail has coating coming off the wires with copper exposed. But the plug itself looks fine

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If I unplug the "sensor" next to the thermostat housing and the it starts idling rough, that would indicate the sensor is still good correct?
To check the sensor, I would want to have a cold engine and unplug at start up and drive it. If the engine is already warm, unplugging it will likely not show anything. Those sensors are weird. I have seen unplugged engine run differences and sometimes no differences.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
The pigtail has coating coming off the wires with copper exposed. But the plug itself looks fine
Are you talking about the insulation on the wires right up to the connector? I assume so.

Pics would be nice.

Spankbank850

Reaction score
Yes sir that's what I'm talking about. That vacuum line just cracked on me so that shouldn't be the problem until now lol. Bought this truck for 600 bucks 3 years ago after sitting a while. It's kinda cruddy

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
When my '88 was stalling semi-randomly, it was the cracked magnet on the mainshaft of the distributor.

You must be registered for see images attach

It started-out as a high-speed misfire, got progressively worse until it would stall at low speed, and finally died completely about 300 miles from home. The Chevy Stealership put in a new mainshaft, but those are long discontinued. You'd be looking at a complete (aftermarket) distributor now.

Spankbank850

Reaction score
When my '88 was stalling semi-randomly, it was the cracked magnet on the mainshaft of the distributor.

It started-out as a high-speed misfire, got progressively worse until it would stall at low speed, and finally died completely about 300 miles from home. The Chevy Stealership put in a new mainshaft, but those are long discontinued. You'd be looking at a complete (aftermarket) distributor now.
Turns out I should've paid a little more attention when I was changing the cap and rotor. Magnet is in terrible shape. Got a new distributor and she runs like a top.
Just wanted to update you guys and say thanks for all the help and knowledge!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240910_045829_Gallery.jpg
    Screenshot_20240910_045829_Gallery.jpg
    245.4 KB · Views: 8