Another 10 Bolt G80 Locker Bites The Dust...

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I recently got my Suburban back from the shop ('97 GMC K1500) after getting new brake lines and a new master cylinder installed. Was backing out of a parking spot a few days later and noticed something strange. As I turned the steering wheel backing up, I heard a small pop and the truck slowed down. Almost felt like 4WD was engaged, but it wasn't. Once I straightened the wheel and put the truck in drive it seemed fine so I didn't think too much of it. Fast forward another 24hrs or so, and it's doing the same thing in drive during tighter turns. I drove it back up to my mechanic's shop (probably a bad idea, won't do that again knowing what I know now) and it turns out that my G80 has stripped nearly all the teeth off the spider gears.

I briefly considered swapping in a junkyard 14 bolt axle, but I'd like to have this truck up and running again ASAP and I've never been a fan of the G80s anyway. So I decided to pull the trigger on an Eaton TrueTrac for the 8.5" 10 bolt. Parts list is as follows, Just ordered everything.

1.) Eaton TrueTrac carrier, part number 913A481 ($560 from Quick Performance on Amazon)

2.) Eaton master differential install kit, part number K-GM8.5SR ($140 from Summit Racing)

3.) Richmond Gear 3.73 ring and pinion, part number 49-0041-1 ($280 from Amazon)

Did some brief research this morning before ordering and I think these are pretty decent selections for what's on the market as of today. I was going to use the Motive R10REMKT master install kit as they're supposed to come with Timken bearings, but I saw a note on Summit Racing that basically says they can't guarantee the brand of the bearing supplier so I decided to go with the Eaton kit. No idea what bearing supplier Eaton uses in their kits, but I'd like to think it should be decent. The Richmond Gear R&P set is supposedly made in Italy, I'll verify when they show up.

I'll update this thread with the results and let everyone know if any issues arise. Basically just posting this to vent and share experiences but if anyone has any input I'm all ears.

Didn't really want to spend all that cash at the moment but oh well, at least the 'burb should do better burnouts now. :lol:

RichLo

E I E I O
Reaction score
You should get some carnage pics for us!

I've heard good things about the TruTrac, you should be happy with that!

Since your putting that much money into an 8.5, consider welding the axle tubes to the carrier housing. If you do, just make sure you have a competent welder that can pre-heat and give it a controlled cool

Rock Hard Concrete

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have a truetrac and motive 4.10s installed in a 10 bolt in a 2000 4.3 sierra and I love it. The unit is far and above more durable than any factory 10 bolt carrier. With a truetrac and aftermarket gears, I imagine the next weakest link is the axle shafts or housing itself, which most people wont hurt with a factory powertrain.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
So I've already forgotten something... Gear oil!

The Eaton performance differential user manual calls for a GL5 80W-90 conventional with no additives for TrueTracs, just like the factory G80. They state that limited slip additives or synthetic oils may reduce performance. Think I'm going to go with Valvoline VV831 unless anyone has other suggestions.

https://shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/high-performance-gear-oil-sae-80w-90

The data sheet says it contains no limited slip additives.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...3793b338/510adab1-8a54-eb11-b800-48df3793b338

Fluid capacity for the 10 bolt is a little over two quarts right? I looked in the '97 FSMs but I couldn't find the fluid capacity listed anywhere.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to use the Motive R10REMKT master install kit as they're supposed to come with Timken bearings, but I saw a note on Summit Racing that basically says they can't guarantee the brand of the bearing supplier so I decided to go with the Eaton kit.
To be honest, Timkin bearings aren't that good any more. IIRC - they're made overseas, maybe China, I can't remember.

Since your putting that much money into an 8.5, consider welding the axle tubes to the carrier housing. If you do, just make sure you have a competent welder that can pre-heat and give it a controlled cool
Coming from a guy with some experience, huh?

SNCTMPL

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So I've already forgotten something... Gear oil!

The Eaton performance differential user manual calls for a GL5 80W-90 conventional with no additives for TrueTracs, just like the factory G80. They state that limited slip additives or synthetic oils may reduce performance. Think I'm going to go with Valvoline VV831 unless anyone has other suggestions.

https://shop.valvolineglobal.com/products/high-performance-gear-oil-sae-80w-90

The data sheet says it contains no limited slip additives.

https://sharena21.springcm.com/Publ...3793b338/510adab1-8a54-eb11-b800-48df3793b338

Fluid capacity for the 10 bolt is a little over two quarts right? I looked in the '97 FSMs but I couldn't find the fluid capacity listed anywhere.
To find the capacities, I have found Amsoil’s website to be pretty accurate and useful.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
To find the capacities, I have found Amsoil’s website to be pretty accurate and useful.

Thank you! Looks like I was pretty close, they say 4.2 pints.

One local AutoZone claims to have the Valvoline VV831 in stock, going to go check later this afternoon. If they don't have it then O'Reilly can get it by tomorrow.

98_SLE_98

Reaction score
To be honest, Timkin bearings aren't that good any more. IIRC - they're made overseas, maybe China, I can't remember.

Coming from a guy with some experience, huh?
Yes it’s quite a bit different now compared to years ago. Two weeks ago finished a rear diff rebuild for a customer. Gm parts ordered from the warehouse. Ended up being Timken bearings. Side bearings Taiwan, front pinion bearing China, rear pinion bearing USA

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I saw a note on Summit Racing that basically says they can't guarantee the brand of the bearing supplier
You would’ve been fine with that Motive Kit. If they weren’t Timken, they would’ve been KOYO bearings. KOYO(Japanese) purchased Timken. KOYO bearings are second to none.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
You would’ve been fine with that Motive Kit. If they weren’t Timken, they would’ve been KOYO bearings. KOYO(Japanese) purchased Timken. KOYO bearings are second to none.

I'm sure the Motive kit would've been fine, but for an extra $20 I thought I'd try the Eaton. I figure buying the install kit from the same people who built the carrier might not be a bad idea. It looks like the Eaton kit might come with more shims than the Motive but who knows, could just be stock photos.