94 TBI 350 in a 96.

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GMTruckJunkie

Reaction score
Has anyone done a similar swap? I know going Vortec into a TBI truck is swap that other people do but here is my question;

I have a 94 K1500, truck has been my workhorse for almost 7 years, its just worn out at this point. It's engine is very strong and in great shape still.
Thinking about buying a 96 K1500 Suburban to swap it into, it's Vortec engine is gone but the truck is in pristine shape and complete minus the engine. Both are 4wd but the 96 has the newer xfer case and the 94 has the manual one.

Won't be as simple as a swapping the PCM from the 94 i think because the 96 transmission is different.

Anyone have any insight on what the swap requires?

GMTruckJunkie

Reaction score
Forgot to mention, the 96 has no engine in it at all so swapping heads is not ideal if avoidable as i would have to buy a set. Still might be the cheapest way to make it run.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Use your short-block, bolt on Vortec heads and intake manifold.
Keep in mind your 94 block almost certainly doesn't have roller cam provisions, unless you do something about that you'll still have the peanut cam that came with it. I'd NEVER go back to a Flat Tappet cam again.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Off the top of my head here. You'll need the entire top end for a vortec, heads, intake, mass air flow sensor and air box. The bolt pattern is completely different on the intake side of the vortec heads and intake, 8 intake bolts for vortec and 12 for traditional.

You'll also need the vortec distributor, yours won't clear the intake. Vortec roller cam and lifters with their dog bones and retainer plate if you don't want to have someone tune the computer for the cam. You need the vortec front timing cover with the reluctor wheel and crank sensor. You also need the vortec front accessories if you don't want to modify the alternator wiring and retain the air conditioning.

You'll be money ahead to just simply install a vortec.

skylark

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Sounds like its not economic, thanks for the help. Assuming switching to a carb is also not a option?
Carb, well, how do you feel about replacing your intake, adding a carb, accessories that still don't fit, a fuel pressure regulator and a ridiculously expensive transmission controller for an electronically shifted transmission?

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
It wouldn’t be too bad if you harvest the electrical system from your TBI truck and swap it all in completely. Like the LS swaps where they take all the Electrical and replace the old setup.

GMTruckJunkie

Reaction score
It wouldn’t be too bad if you harvest the electrical system from your TBI truck and swap it all in completely. Like the LS swaps where they take all the Electrical and replace the old setup.
I don't think that will work but a good idea, Pre 98 all 4l60e were different each year and not interchangeable unless there is a mod for hooking up a 96* to a 94 harness and computer that i don't know about.

Last edited:

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I don't think that will work but a good idea, Pre 98 all 4l60e were different each year and not interchangeable unless there is a mod for hooking up a 96* to a 94 harness and computer that i don't know about.
Then swap in your transmission from the TBI truck with it as a pair?