94 5.7 TBI Power steering causing stalling?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Did you check and clean the egr valve passage? Like others here, I suspect the IAC. Cleaning passage from outside does not always get it done. Cleaning IAC does not always get it done. The fact that it got better and now only gives you problems when you are at steering lock, says you are on right track. May need to pony up for new IAC.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a bunch of potential causes for engine stalling when the steering wheel is being turned.

One of them is that the PS pump is producing too much pressure, which means it's dragging on the engine too much.

MORE likely is that the engine isn't running right. And there's multiple potential issues there, too. You already know you need a scan tool to investigate this. But don't forget to verify ALL the usual "tune-up" issues.

And God bless you for not dicking with the base-idle screw. It would be VERY unlikely that the base-idle (minimum idle) screw adjustment is wrong.

I'm told that the TBI base gasket is a common problem. All vacuum leaks are more noticeable at low engine speed/idle.

Woodwright

Reaction score
I'm at the point that I'll need to get TunerPro RT to go any further. I did end up replacing the IAC. After getting it up to operating temp, I tried to get it to stall numerous times. Only had it stall once on me. I think she drives well enough to add it to the fleet for the shop guys to use. I run a cabinet shop and this will be our jobsite truck. Just didn't want to give them a truck we can't depend on, and I needed it operating ASAP.

There's a bunch of potential causes for engine stalling when the steering wheel is being turned.

One of them is that the PS pump is producing too much pressure, which means it's dragging on the engine too much.

MORE likely is that the engine isn't running right. And there's multiple potential issues there, too. You already know you need a scan tool to investigate this. But don't forget to verify ALL the usual "tune-up" issues.

And God bless you for not dicking with the base-idle screw. It would be VERY unlikely that the base-idle (minimum idle) screw adjustment is wrong.

I'm told that the TBI base gasket is a common problem. All vacuum leaks are more noticeable at low engine speed/idle.
Appreciate the advice! I'll continue working on it when the cable comes in and I figure out the scanner software.