1994 TBI 350 Stretched Timing Chain

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a Laminate link chain it is tremendously strong. If you think about what it does. Turning at 50 % crankshaft speed. How many revolutions it has turned through. Chains of this nature are not " stretched ". It is the wear and tear. Gear teeth accumulate wear, every link and pin has wear. It's not a stretched loose sock. It's the age and time in-service. From day one metal starts the process toward end service.
There is procedure to lay a straightedge along the gears and measure the amount of slack in chain.
Bearings don't shrink, they wear . Stretching chains , no, wear from time in service and or inferior materials, oil contamination.

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Most common way folks choose M55 is monkey-see, monkey do. Many don't know M155 exists; much less why or how it's been improved. M55's not really a wrong choice; only that M155 is better (because it has a larger inlet). Otherwise, they're the same standard volume, standard pressure pump.

Cleaning pickup's an option; I've done it many times. But we can learn. The screen wire becomes varnished over time and the opening between wire becomes smaller. That makes it much harder for the pump to draw oil in. And, the spur gear type pump it is is not known for being efficient at drawing oil in; it's far more efficient at pushing the oil through motor. Several other reason too as well as New screens are CHEEEP --- two real quick videos on screens-tube-pickup

proper screen install
xc_hide_links_from_guests_guests_error_hide_media

why replace screen

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My concern with re-using the pickup tube on the new pump is that it's a press-fit into the pump. You think the press-fit is as tight the second time?

But welding it in place would prevent it from falling off. May or may not prevent air leaks at the tube/pump junction.

Unless I learn something new, I'm pretty-much "done" with small-block Chevy oil pumps. My small-blocks are getting the Big-block pump from now on. Melling sells a big-block pump kit for small-blocks under P/N M99HV-S.
www.summitracing.com/parts/mel-m99hvs

megafan0258

Reaction score
Most common way folks choose M55 is monkey-see, monkey do. Many don't know M155 exists; much less why or how it's been improved. M55's not really a wrong choice; only that M155 is better (because it has a larger inlet). Otherwise, they're the same standard volume, standard pressure pump.

Cleaning pickup's an option; I've done it many times. But we can learn. The screen wire becomes varnished over time and the opening between wire becomes smaller. That makes it much harder for the pump to draw oil in. And, the spur gear type pump it is is not known for being efficient at drawing oil in; it's far more efficient at pushing the oil through motor. Several other reason too as well as New screens are CHEEEP --- two real quick videos on screens-tube-pickup

proper screen install

why replace screen
"Monkey see Monkey do" was going to be my approach to it!

I just wanted stock so it'd work with my original pickup tube so I didn't have to go messing out with silly putty and measuring/cutting an after market one.

Your comments are the ones I'm looking for! I like constructive criticism, it's how we develop. I will definitely watch the videos you dropped will I'm winding down for the night.

As for the varnishing on the screen, wouldn't oven cleaner take that off? It's what I've always used on greasy engine parts.

Like my timing cover! Used some old silver header paint I had from when I put long tube's on the Ole girl 6 years ago.

This project is going to take a week. Between helping with my 1 year old, work and keeping the woman happy, I've got a long row to hoe piece mealing each task after work.

Attachments

• 20240903_205700.jpg
    20240903_205700.jpg
    348.7 KB · Views: 2

megafan0258

Reaction score
My concern with re-using the pickup tube on the new pump is that it's a press-fit into the pump. You think the press-fit is as tight the second time?

But welding it in place would prevent it from falling off. May or may not prevent air leaks at the tube/pump junction.

Unless I learn something new, I'm pretty-much "done" with small-block Chevy oil pumps. My small-blocks are getting the Big-block pump from now on. Melling sells a big-block pump kit for small-blocks under P/N M99HV-S.
I plan on tacking it in place at my shop. A press fit becomes a slip fit pretty quick with tubing.

I read into the high volume thing and decided stock was best for my application. Hopefully my perogative doesn't prove me wrong.

PlayingWithTBI

2022 Truck of the Year
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My small-blocks are getting the Big-block pump from now on. Melling sells a big-block pump kit for small-blocks under P/N M99HV-S.
^^^This and the ARP Oil Pump Stud KIt.

A little bit of trimming on the windage tray, you're all set. You can do it in the truck on a 2WD. You may have to rotate the crank a little for the oil pan to clear :headbang:
You must be registered for see images attach

rebelyell

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
As a Laminate link chain it is tremendously strong. If you think about what it does. Turning at 50 % crankshaft speed. How many revolutions it has turned through. Chains of this nature are not " stretched ". It is the wear and tear. Gear teeth accumulate wear, every link and pin has wear. It's not a stretched loose sock. It's the age and time in-service. From day one metal starts the process toward end service.
There is procedure to lay a straightedge along the gears and measure the amount of slack in chain.
Bearings don't shrink, they wear . Stretching chains , no, wear from time in service and or inferior materials, oil contamination.
I agree. That link-belt type chain is not junk; it's very good but gets a bad rep for no good reason. I've seen em continue to do their job even after a bolt went through em ---bent chain and all it still kept on ticking! Even the old nylon clad cam sprockets were very robust; jeez, they lasted Many years before zillions of cycles of heat & time took its toll. And, that chain inside the 4WD transfer case looks like what? Yup, that's no coinkydink. Most of these (OE flat tappet or OE roller) sbc motors' OE valve springs are only about 80 lbs on seat; that's not good reason to demand any "double-row" chain. OP's chain in pic has too much slack; he's made a good choice in C3055.

megafan0258

Reaction score

A little bit of trimming on the windage tray, you're all set. You can do it in the truck on a 2WD. You may have to rotate the crank a little for the oil pan to clear :headbang:

You must be registered for see images attach
PlayingWithTBI! I always look for your posts when I searching for some answers.

If the pump I've already purchased doesn't work out I will more than likely go a similar route.

At this point I just miss my truck, I haven't been able to enjoy it in years.