'89 Stepside "Way Cool Jr."

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Drunkcanuk

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Useful bed attachments there. The last time I did that I built a tool out of some 2x4s.
It's hard with the stepside beds, as there is no lip on the inside, just flat walls. I like what they did, hard getting 3 others over at the same time to help with the bed. Gonna have to put those tie down anchors on my "one day" list.

FLGS400

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yet another week has passed and I shot myself in the foot on the alternator. Rock Auto shows two AC Delco alternators available for an '89, and they list both as "w/ AC", one at $77 and the other at $110.

DON'T ORDER THE $77 ALTERNATOR!

They don't list the number of ribs on the pulley, and the $77 alternator is the 4-rib NON A/C version. I'm more pissed that my truck was down an additional four days than I am that they're charging me a $8 restocking fee. Still, O'Reillys wants $185 for the alternator, so I'll still order from RockAuto, but I'd appreciate a more accurate listing. Guess what? O'Reillys lists it as w/ AC as well. I think AC Delco's the source of the dork-up.

The new alternator is on and the truck charges fine. What really sucks is that the old alternator is only a couple years old. I'll have to pull it apart and test the rectifier. If so, that's a $4 fix and I'll have an alternator for Roscoe.

I also got the receiver hitch mounted back under the bumper, and while I had it off I welded on a bracket for a 7-pin trailer plug. I still need to buy a brake controller and wire it in, but at least I have a place to mount it now.