5.7l vortec oil cooler

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Hi, trying to remove stock oil cooler housing on 96 suburban 5.7 to upgrade to external cooler. Got a hayden kit that said it fits but the hosuing adapter does not. Anyone know if there are any adapters that fit for having the external cooler? All i see for sale is bypass apapters to delete the cooler entirley and relocation kits, thanks
You must be registered for see images attach

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Maybe it needs to go like this but in that case i think i could juat use the existing ports on the oem cooler housing and run them to my external oil cooler rad instead of the coolant radiator? Would that work?

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
The OE cooler maintains the oil at the optimum operating temp. Not to low or to high. What makes you think you need a cooler? The aftermarket adapter is designed for an engine without a cooler. Not your "Rube Goldberg example".

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The OE cooler maintains the oil at the optimum operating temp. Not to low or to high. What makes you think you need a cooler? The aftermarket adapter is designed for an engine without a cooler. Not your "Rube Goldberg example".
the oe system is known to leak thats why, and the oe oil cooler requires a special washer for the 2 bolts thar are no longer made and cant be found anywhere

burbanswervin

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
You'd be enormously better-off to throw the Hayden kit in the scrap bin--or sell to someone else--and just use the OEM system.
Oem system is garbage, lines and fittings always leak and the 2 special metal/rubber crush washers for the housing bolts arent being made anymore and impossible to find. External setup would work much better service easier and cool better

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Oem system is garbage, lines and fittings always leak and the 2 special metal/rubber crush washers for the housing bolts arent being made anymore and impossible to find. External setup would work much better service easier and cool better
OEM system isnt perfect
Lines and fittings always leak? quality lines and proper installation tend to solve your issue there.

The crimp barrels on the lines tend to leak, those can be replaced by using oetiker clamps on the hose passed the ferrule in the metal hard line. if it leaks you have a bad hose section which is replaceable by bulk section cut right. then The housing crush washers which have a grommet , i know what you speak of., Ive seen someone find the number. So skill issue. i think they had a roadmaster so im sure the tbi in the roadmaster didnt have a different cooler, but i could be wrong.

You could, if you wanted OEM But not this year OEM, use the pre Gmt400 oil cooler sandwich adapter which fits above the filter and just plumbs out 2 lines. It would be better than THAT.
But as stated when you can have oil temp at the right place its going to be better for everyone.

Vote 0/10 skill issue, lacks effort

AuroraGirl

I'm Awesome
Reaction score

Also im a little giddy because this means i have an SBC cooler like this one because my vortec has KC4

Reusing the spring clips is expressly forbidden by gm as they are not designed to be reused, so you could be leaking there. There should be retains that keep the clips from spreading when installed that are plastic. This is just a quick search. i did it in like 3 minutes. the grommet/seals arent shown but im sure you could find them if you try