4L60E Information Thread

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@NickTransmissions As you know, I recently put that deep pan filter in, and refilled fluid. I had fluid dead nuts in markings and checked it periodically for a few days. Today I took a run to HD and it’s pretty hot out, sat in a bit of traffic. Fluid temperature was about 180° when I pulled in and when I checked fluid, it was about 3/16” above top mark. That’s just heat related…right?
Unless it's belching out of the vent tube, I wouldn't worry about it.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No, definitely not. I just hear occasionally how critical fluid levels are for a 4l60e. Thank you!
Cool...being low on fluid is more of a problem then being a little high but you should be fine if it's functioning normally, no unusual noises coming from it and nothing's coming out of the top. Even if it was venting, as long as the venting ceased after a full drive cycle and fluid level was right at full when hot, that would be fine as well.

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the fluid level is not high enough to get up into the moving parts you're good to go. For future reference set the cold level about half way up the checkered area on the stick(engine running) then drive 20 miles to thoroughly warm the tranny,then top up when hot.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
As long as the fluid level is not high enough to get up into the moving parts you're good to go. For future reference set the cold level about half way up the checkered area on the stick(engine running) then drive 20 miles to thoroughly warm the tranny,then top up when hot.
It was fine, I had it correct. Just the high heat today made it a bit high…I thought.

0xDEADBEEF

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to identify what 2nd gear you have? Preferably something external.

I'm about to set up a Holley Terminator X Max, and it has two options: pre-2009 with 1.63 2nd gear and pre-2009 with 1.75 2nd gear.

The thing is, I have no idea what this came out of. I used my 1996 trans as a core and the builder put this together out of his huge stock of parts. Everything I have googled only says 1.625 for 2nd gear.

NickTransmissions

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone know how to identify what 2nd gear you have? Preferably something external.

I'm about to set up a Holley Terminator X Max, and it has two options: pre-2009 with 1.63 2nd gear and pre-2009 with 1.75 2nd gear.

The thing is, I have no idea what this came out of. I used my 1996 trans as a core and the builder put this together out of his huge stock of parts. Everything I have googled only says 1.625 for 2nd gear.
If you have a V8, use 1.63 for 2nd. Perhaps the units that went into the small displacement V6 equipped vehicles had a 1.75 but don't quote me on that. As long as Ive been doing those units, I have only known one gear ratio for 2nd: 1.63 to 1.