3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Rag joint?
Good thought, but I’ve eliminated that.
I’m going to just throw this out after digging into these steering boxes. From what I’ve can see is there were at least 3 different versions for our trucks…maybe more. The Borgeson, from their own site, confirm fitment for all 88-98 years. So why did GM make different versions, yet Borgeson has it all figured out in one box? I found this yesterday on another forum from our own @Schurkey:

Seems the same basic steering gear design is used on 1988--2000 vehicles including C/K pickups, Suburban, Blazer, Yukon, Tahoe, and even some Dodge Ram trucks, including 1/2, 3/4, and 1-ton vehicles.

In my search, four part numbers show up for these vehicles from 1988 to 2000. All have three mounting bolts, the same plumbing threads (M18 X 1.5; M16 X 1.5), the same size input shaft (3/4"), the same diameter output shaft (1 1/4") and the same spline count (32). In short...should be interchangeable.

NSP 88278091 = the one specified for my truck (88--95 C/K1500, and others)
Gear box turns = 2 5/8--3 1/16

NSP 88278117 = 1996 C/K, various Suburban, Tahoe
Gear box turns = 2 5/8

NSP 88278090 = 1997--2000 C/K, various Suburban, Tahoe, Ram
Gear box turns = 3 -- 3 1/2

NSP 88278127 = 1999--2000 Escalade, 1998-1999 C/K and Suburban, 1998--2000 Tahoe
Gear box turns = 3 1/16”.

This to. According to this, Saginaw made many different versions for our trucks. It only makes sense that one that came with EVO would have a different box than a 1995.
You must be registered for see images attach

There were different pumps as well that were paired with appropriate steering gears. Anyway, it’s got me wondering.
Uhhhh this is good info. I also looked on Borgeson’s website regarding the box itself. They specify that it is for “OBS” trucks. But in the application listing it is only for C/K 1500 and 2500 trucks. I suspect the 2500 is the light duty version.

Regarding the pumps - I haven’t found solid information about which pumps were paired with which box. Lots of discussion about EVO pumps but that doesn’t apply to me at this time. I wonder if a C1500 pump would help with things. I don’t know, I need more info.
I'm not a mechanic, but I am under the impression that anytime you R&R a steering component you should get an alignment. Simply unbolting the steering rack to install a new front swaybar on my vette and then bolting it back down without touching anything else made my steering wheel off. It drove fine, but it bugged the crap out of me.

Make sure everything is tight. That can explain why it looks good on the alignment rack but drives unpredictably.
Ha well that’s probably what happened here. I will re-check to see if it’s all tight. I shouldn’t have unbolted it I guess, I honestly didn’t think it would be an issue. Now I’m kind of irritated with myself that I did it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Lots of discussion about EVO pumps
My only point with that was, Borgeson gear is a one size fits all, while, at least what it seems, GM made a variety of steering gears…so there must’ve been a reason for that. Do you still have your original gear? If so, can you read the Broadcast Code I mentioned earlier? Also, is a big casting number 83 or 84 on original casing?

You must be registered for see images attach

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the inner tie rod off the center link after the second time they aligned it. Until that point, the steering wheel was straight. After I put on the new box it was then crooked. So it’s something on my end with respect to the steering wheel. Still tracks straight.

I have an 84 box, but don’t see a broadcast code on it like “JT”.

Attachments

• IMG_9367.jpeg
    IMG_9367.jpeg
    338.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_9368.jpeg
    IMG_9368.jpeg
    398.5 KB · Views: 4

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took the inner tie rod off the center link after the second time they aligned it. Until that point, the steering wheel was straight. After I put on the new box it was then crooked. So it’s something on my end with respect to the steering wheel. Still tracks straight.

I have an 84 box, but don’t see a broadcast code on it like “JT”.
What about the 83 mark designation for a 1500 or LD 2500 vs. the 84 mark for larger bore gear for HD 2500’s?
Apparently, the stamp mark wears out, looks like yours was cleaned up and wiped off. Check for the 83 or 84 casting.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
What about the 83 mark designation for a 1500 or LD 2500 vs. the 84 mark for larger bore gear for HD 2500’s?
Apparently, the stamp mark wears out, looks like yours was cleaned up and wiped off. Check for the 83 or 84 casting.
It’s an 84 box, I just didn’t take a photo.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, the large bore box. The Borgeson likely is a small bore.
Do you think pairing it with a different pump would matter? I’m trying to find some info on pressure and flow rates to compare. Not having luck yet.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thought, do trucks with Hydroboost have a different pump with different pressure’s?