3/4 Ton of fun - ‘95 Sierra

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I plan on playing the “I’m stupid” card a little bit.

@Caman96 really appreciate the time you spent looking into this today. You did not have to do that.
I don’t even know if it means anything, my gut says it does have something to do with it, considering GM could’ve just as easily done a one size fits all if it didn’t matter.

fancyTBI

Some of my trucks run and drive
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Turn One are good folks. I've called them with questions about my stuff and they answered despite me not even being a customer. They sell flow restrictors which might help with the mismatched bores.
I’ll have to check those out. Looks like I’ll be emailing them first.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
@Caman96 really appreciate the time you spent looking into this today.

Me too!

There's nothing wrong with either of my trucks' steering gears currently, but if there ever is I think I'd be inclined to go with a Turn One (or similar) rebuild of the original just to eliminate any possible confusion.

Great detective work.

df2x4

4L60E Destroyer
Staff member
Super Moderator
Reaction score
They sell flow restrictors which might help with the mismatched bores.

Also just wanted to second this, changing the flow control orifice on the pump might be a good solution if you're over or under boosted. I have no idea what flow rate you'd need but Turn One does appear to sell all kinds of different options, and state they can custom make whatever you need if it's not listed.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I researched this company a bit and lots of good to great reviews. Some forums discussing which was better -
Lee vs. Turn one. Many saying Lee was better. IDK, probably couldn’t go wrong with either. Lee also has different valving and choices, including 3 different turn ratios.

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I researched this company a bit and lots of good to great reviews. Some forums discussing which was better -
Lee vs. Turn one. Many saying Lee was better. IDK, probably couldn’t go wrong with either. Lee also has different valving and choices, including 3 different turn ratios.
I built a box on their site earlier. It wasn’t cheap. If it worked it would be great. Maybe for the ‘94. But I’m not planning on doing any steering component work until next year. Also gives me time to save for it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I built a box on their site earlier. It wasn’t cheap. If it worked it would be great. Maybe for the ‘94. But I’m not planning on doing any steering component work until next year. Also gives me time to save for it.
In that link, if you didn’t, click on their rebuild process page a few lines down on yellow word “here”. It’s really impressive. But yes, very expensive!

Last edited:

fancyTBI

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Alright, Turn One actually gave me a phone call today regarding my situation. We spent about an hour on the phone and the dude I spoke to was awesome. His dad used to work at the Saginaw plant.

Anyways he gave me two viable options, one more difficult option and some theories on my issues.

Theory: Borgeson small bore box requires more pressure than my pump can provide. The weight of the vehicle is likely not the issue here. He is confident that I don't have an over-pressure/GPM issue, it's likely the opposite - not enough pressure. He also didn't speak too fondly of the Borgeson boxes, not any personal attacks or grudges against the company, very professional conversation.

Solution 1: I could equip a later-model P pump or hydroboost pump to my truck. Preferably a lower-mileage OEM unit and that could give me the pressure I need. If i use hydroboost only for the steering it would provide more than enough pressure for the steering system. Pros: keep Borgeson as I do like the quickness of it. Cons: my labor, money, tracking down a suitable replacement P/S pump. He referred to the pumps on these trucks as "P" pumps.

Solution 2: Send in my original box for a full rebuild, leave the pump alone. Pros: a quality replacement box, keep my existing pump. Cons: cost is another $400-$500, my labor.

Solution 3: If I reeeeaaaally liked the quick ratio I could track down a box from a 454SS and send that in for a rebuild. He said this one is probably the most difficult. I'd more than likely need to have a rebuilt pump by them so it could provide the pressure needed.

He also asked me what I use the truck for. I said it is a cruiser first and a work truck second but I do intend to use it for truck things. His response was that I'm probably better off just rebuilding my existing unit rather than finding a stock 454ss box or trying to work on the Borgeson further. But he also said that if I like the Borgeson then I should pursue the pump options and they would be happy to help me find a solution. I'm not gaining much in the way of steering with the Borgeson. It is only shaving off about a quarter turn lock to lock.

So what am I going to do? Well, I'm going to call this whole borgeson box a bust and be done with it. My OE box will be getting shipped off to Turn One next week. They also rebuild OEM pumps; going to try and find a NOS or low mile unit on ebay and get that rebuilt. They do not have the parts to put a quick ratio in a regular box. Technically they do, but it requires big dollars. They have built them before but it was for big operations, not one-off jobs. Said they made a 6:1 ratio for nascar at one point. 1.25 turns lock to lock.