Wtf did I do lol

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Hipster

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted to learn to work on my own cars back in high school (25 years ago) but the auto class was worthless. None of the cars worked so I never knew if I broke or fixed anything. Took brakes, differential, and a front end apart but they weren’t even on a car, so I never developed any confidence, and didn’t invest beyond that, since I didn’t learn anything.

Now, I’m trying to take responsibility, and bought a 97 burb 4x4 that was somebody else’s toy. EGR delete, catalyst delete, stainless headers, rebuilt already. Of course all the mods means I can’t follow the Haynes manuals 100% now. Not sure what engine is in it but it’s not stock. It’s close, but different. Oil filter is different, engine fan mounts different. All fine, I’ll learn it eventually, but it’s gonna take time, which I have very little of. Father of an 8 and 4 year old.

Currently digging into cam/crank correlation codes. Finally got #1 to tdc so it’s time to reset the distributor. Looking forward to getting her put back together so I can take her to Menards.

You must be registered for see images attach
Nice! Looks like you got the "It'll make it past everything, but the gas station" part figured out. lol

Attachments

• IMG_3299.jpeg
    IMG_3299.jpeg
    315.2 KB · Views: 2

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
What the efffffin hell color is the DIESEL nozzle at BP!?

How many times, I wonder, do people pull up for diesel at BP and end up putting gasoline in their diesel truck!!!!

Fuel nozzles should be universal colors, like OBDII diagnostic connectors and codes.

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's Black:

(credit: reddit BP nozzle colors)

Over in the reddit thread somone mentioned that BP is using the UK color coding?

How many times, I wonder, do people pull up for diesel at BP and end up putting gasoline in their diesel truck!!!!

Especially for folks conditioned to look for the green nozzle, this is setting some up for failure.

Fuel nozzles should be universal colors, like OBDII diagnostic connectors and codes.

:waytogo:

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
It's Black:

(credit: reddit BP nozzle colors)

Over in the reddit thread somone mentioned that BP is using the UK color coding?

Especially for folks conditioned to look for the green nozzle, this is setting some up for failure.

:waytogo:
MARKED WITH A GREEN EFFFFIN SIGN!!!!!!!!!!! BP=IDIOTS!

Road Trip

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone. I wanted to learn to work on my own cars back in high school (25 years ago) but the auto class was worthless. None of the cars worked so I never knew if I broke or fixed anything. Took brakes, differential, and a front end apart but they weren’t even on a car, so I never developed any confidence, and didn’t invest beyond that, since I didn’t learn anything.

Hello moops,

There's a saying that 'Nothing is more expensive than a lack of knowledge.' And not that long ago, if you had a
problem there were plenty of professionals competing for your repair business. But a recent trend is that the
most experienced mechanics who had GMT400 skills are closing up their tool boxes & retiring. And some members
of this forum are reporting that shops are no longer willing to work on these olders trucks & SUVs.

Now, I’m trying to take responsibility, and bought a 97 burb 4x4 that was somebody else’s toy.

In other words, there is no time like right now for you to decide to become a lot more self-reliant
when it comes to fixing your new (to you) GMT400. And you have picked a very DIY-friendly platform
to learn on. A lot of us in here feel that the GMT400 is much more fixable than a lot of the newer,
really complex vehicles. And if you get stuck, between the Factory Service Manuals & a question or two
in here, normally the problem is kicked around a bit and the best answer bubbles up to the top in short
order.

Currently digging into cam/crank correlation codes. Finally got #1 to tdc so it’s time to reset the distributor. Looking forward to getting her put back together so I can take her to Menards.

Given it's a '97, is it possible that you are currently trying to clear a P1345 DTC? If so, then we've been
down that path before, and it can definitely be sorted out by the folks in here.

Anyway, congrats on your new 'burb, and welcome to the forum.

Cheers -

fancyTBI

*Sad TBI 350 noises*
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Local Casey’s has blue, green, red, and yellow handles.

OP, sorry to derail. Welcome to the forum! Sharp burb.

moops

Reaction score
Given it's a '97, is it possible that you are currently trying to clear a P1345 DTC?

That would be the one. My reader said I was 2° off so I rotated the distributor to 0° and the idle got rougher and it stalled easier, so I’m guessing it’s off a tooth. Might have a vacuum leak as well, but I haven’t hooked up the vacuum gauge or the smoke machine yet. One thing at a time.