Working on my own 2005 Tahoe Z71

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Within the last 3-4 months I have intermittently been having problems with my master switch assembly on my driver's door. The one that controls locks, windows and mirrors. Intermittently the lock toggle would not work unless I repeatedly toggled it. I decided to get a new master switch assembly.

I contacted @915_Tahoe and gave the last 8 digits of the VIN and he came up with part #15883319. I had looked at RA and they only offered Dorman and Standard. One of the qualifiers was if I had adjustable pedals. I do but that is controlled by a different set of buttons mounted vertically above the master switch. I tried the usual GM parts houses and it was a no go because is "discontinued". I looked at ebay and found only 1 for $425.00 and the guy would not negotiate.

@915_Tahoe had told me list/retail/walk in price is $304.05. He also gave me a list of possible NOS at 16 different GM parts suppliers/dealers across the country. I started calling and a few showed the switch in stock but not on the shelves. My 5th call showed it and had it. I asked for a discount because of former shop service manager and military discount. He showed the same retail price of $304.05. We negotiated down to $250. With sales tax and shipping, they sent it via Fed Ex today for $290.45. I saved $54.05. Found it at Deboer Chevrolet in MN. Dealt with a great guy named Jake.

Now, on to another concern. I talked to my shop owner friend and he said that some, not all, master switches have their own module embedded in them and may not work if I just try to plug and play. I am gonna hook up my scanner and see if it sees a module and then I would need to upload to my scanner and then install the new switch and then download the info back to the new switch.

Other than the very intermittent lock toggle problem, the old master switch is fine. I will be taking that toggle apart and looking in to see what I can see. If a member wants it after that, I will sell cheap and ship for free.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Getting back at it in my driveway soon:

In the next few days I will be doing rotors and pads, front and rear, on a 2014 Duramax crew cab. She is metal to metal on the inner pads on the L/F and R/R. All parts ordered at RA. Due in Friday morning and she can drop truck asap.

Then I have oil cooler lines on my landlord's 2018 Suburban.

Then I have a/c clutch assembly, intake gaskets, valve stems seals and new heater hose connector at P/S rear, on my girls 1990 K2500 5.7.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Getting back at it in my driveway soon:

In the next few days I will be doing rotors and pads, front and rear, on a 2014 Duramax crew cab. She is metal to metal on the inner pads on the L/F and R/R. All parts ordered at RA. Due in Friday morning and she can drop truck asap.

Then I have oil cooler lines on my landlord's 2018 Suburban.

Then I have a/c clutch assembly, intake gaskets, valve stems seals and new heater hose connector at P/S rear, on my girls 1990 K2500 5.7.
Sounds like you are gonna be busy!

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Just to make sure everyone knows, I will remove the door panel and then I would be disconnecting the switch connectors and checking for corrosion and loose connections.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Just to make sure everyone knows, I will remove the door panel and then I would be disconnecting the switch connectors and checking for corrosion and loose connections.
I lucked out on Rawhide's driver's door window and lock switch, I didn't have to pull the door panel. Just had to pop it out of the panel, and the most difficult part was getting the wiring harness unplugged without breaking the replacement switch.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
I lucked out on Rawhide's driver's door window and lock switch, I didn't have to pull the door panel. Just had to pop it out of the panel, and the most difficult part was getting the wiring harness unplugged without breaking the replacement switch.
There is a hidden phillips screw that cannot be removed till you remove the door panel.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
There is a hidden phillips screw that cannot be removed till you remove the door panel.
A ha, sneaky buggers!
I personally think the 95-up GMT 400 interior was designed by someone who built a lot of snap together model kits. So much of the assembly of the parts is very similar....

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
A ha, sneaky buggers!
I personally think the 95-up GMT 400 interior was designed by someone who built a lot of snap together model kits. So much of the assembly of the parts is very similar....
The snap together design is good till they get old enough. Then the spring clips that are held on by plastic tabs, break off at the tabs. Ran in to that a bit when I did my girl's headliner.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
The snap together design is good till they get old enough. Then the spring clips that are held on by plastic tabs, break off at the tabs. Ran in to that a bit when I did my girl's headliner.
Yup! That's why I proceed carefully when taking anything apart and reassembling it too. Most of the trucks in the yards are stripped of any good trim.