Wooden Glove

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Unactive1

Reaction score
This adventure starts with a badly warped and broken hinge glove box door. Baking in the sun for years. So i started searching for another on ebay. I found several in maroon but not in the best condition. Avg. price was between $50-$90 + shipping. Way too much for my taste to just gamble on used interior parts. So then i got to thinking. I can just make one myself.
You must be registered for see images attach

I got rough measurements of glove box door and headed to home depot. I purchased a nice 2x10x8 for $10 and headed home.

I cut the board to fit and then sketched the outline of the dash on each side with pencil.

After sketching dash angle on each end it was time to use a planer to shave the piece into shape.

Unactive1

Reaction score

After shaping it into basic shape it was time to figure out the new hinges. Thought about it for a minute and grabbed a cheapie philipshead screwdriver and the shank of it fit perfect. Needless to say that screwdriver met the grinder! I put the rubber glove box door bump stops into the hinge holes. Then put the new door into place. The rubber transfered over to the wood showing drill hole location. After drilling the holes and grinding new hinge pins to length. I then finished shaping and sanding it into shape with the orbital sander. The latch i gave thought about using the original latch but didnt want to mess up the new door trying to fab it in. So i abandoned that idea and went back to home depot. I got a pack of flat thin strong cabinet magnetic latches. Only came in 2 pk. Had to space magnet with the other metal piece that its supposed to stick to. Spaced out the latch bar on dash with washers to space it out just a tad. Now time to stain and finish ...

Unactive1

Reaction score
Looks nice man! What color you gunna go with? Gunna try and find a red stain? I think a black would look nice.
Went with mahogany. "Minwax" brand. The only brand stain i will ever use! Great products, can get at Lowes. I didnt go with reddish stain because i wanted it to pop out, not blend in with the maroon sea everything is maroon in this truck.

Trio

Gold member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
While I appreciate the craftsmanship - I have none of those skills - I must say it looks rather ghetto. But whether I like it or not is immaterial to your enjoyment. Nice work.

Unactive1

Reaction score
While I appreciate the craftsmanship - I have none of those skills - I must say it looks rather ghetto. But whether I like it or not is immaterial to your enjoyment. Nice work.
Thanks for nice work comment but no need for your ghetto comment if you don't possess the skills yourself bud. Not everyone can just throw money at an issue to solve it.