Whistling/squealing sound starting at 20mph

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That dust cap did not "snap off". It was CUT because the doofus that installed the cotter-pin didn't have enough sense to cut the long leg down, or bend it out of the way.

The guy who worked on that wheel bearing is an idiot, and owes you a do-over, including re-packing the bearings again because of the potential grease contamination from driving around with the cap cut open.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I wanna say the squeaking was the cotter pin grinding against the inside of the dust cap. Now that I discovered the condition of the dust cap and took the broken part out, it doesn’t squeak. (Don’t worry, I still have the center caps on the wheels, so it’s not open to the elements, but I’m still getting a new dust cap)

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
the squeaking was the cotter pin grinding against the inside of the dust cap.
Yes.

Now that I discovered the condition of the dust cap and took the broken part out, it doesn’t squeak. (Don’t worry, I still have the center caps on the wheels, so it’s not open to the elements, but I’m still getting a new dust cap)
The grease is already contaminated.

The guy who worked on that wheel bearing is an idiot, and owes you a do-over, including re-packing the bearings again because of the potential grease contamination from driving around with the cap cut open.

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If the dork who dorked up the cotter on also dorked up the rear seal, you won't know without inspecting it. Pull it all apart, clean, inspect, and resemble.

slow_c1500

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Ok, issue resolved. The squealing sound was the cotter pin grinding on the bearing dust cap. Whoever worked on that wheel just left the cotter pin straight up instead of bending it down. Replaced the cap and got the bearings repacked (in case of contamination with metal particles,) by that shop, free of charge. They said bearings and everything else on that wheel is fine. The ABS light was on due to the wire to the speed sensor getting cut over time by one of the wheel weights. Shop resolved that too. Thank yall for your help.