Washer nozzle replacement

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

KyleM1990

Reaction score
The driver side washer nozzle on my 92 barely sprays at all while the passenger side works fine. I've tried cleaning it out with a safety pin but no luck. How hard is it to get in there and replace the nozzle? I'm guessing I'll have to figure out how to get the wiper arms off, always fun. Then I'll have to figure out how to get the wiper cowl off? Then if I'm lucky they'll be right there.

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
1. Remove wiper arms - look where they mount on the wiper tower. Slide the clip down then fold the arm (may be backwards on that order of operations as my truck isn't here at the moment, but it'll be obvious as the clip only slides when you have the arm in the correct position - so don't force it) then you can lift the arm off the tower. Some gentle side to side rocking may help free it up if it's stuck. You can also *gently* pry underneath the arm at the tower, but be careful not to crack the cowl plastic. Once the arms are off be careful not to bump the folded part as it's under pretty good spring tension.

2. Peel the cowl-to-hood weatherstrip off the firewall as it will make it easier to remove the cowl plastic. The weatherstrip simply sits on a rail at the edge of the firewall, no fasteners, no adhesive.

3. Remove cowl plastic starting at the corner pieces, 1 screw at each end, then it has a tab that retains it in a slot on the main piece, simply lift out. Then get all the other screws, several of which are sunken in the middle of the main piece. Once they're all out you can lift the main piece off. If it gives you ANY resistance, you've missed a screw; stop immediately before you crack the piece.

4. Nozzles simply snap out of the main cowl plastic. If you're replacing the nozzles, get new hose while you're in there as the old stuff is surely hardened and cracked.

Richard

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Disconnect the hose on the backside of the nozzle. Use a rubber-tipped air nozzle to shoot air backwards through the nozzle. Anything clogging the nozzle should shoot out.
I'll add to this, you may also have some success soaking the nozzles in white vinegar to dissolve any scale that has built up in them. I did this with my '93 a while back because they didn't work at all, like someone had run straight water instead of bug juice.

Hey; it was time to de-scale the shower head, too.

You must be registered for see images attach

Richard

Scooterwrench

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'll add to this, you may also have some success soaking the nozzles in white vinegar to dissolve any scale that has built up in them. I did this with my '93 a while back because they didn't work at all, like someone had run straight water instead of bug juice.

Hey; it was time to de-scale the shower head, too.

Richard
If you want it done right now dip them for about 30sec. in muraitic acid. Acid won't eat plastic or glass. Rinse them well with fresh water and reinstall. They'll work like new and it only took an hour to do it.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If you want it done right now dip them for about 30sec. in muraitic acid. Acid won't eat plastic or glass. Rinse them well with fresh water and reinstall. They'll work like new and it only took an hour to do it.
If that shower head sat in muriatic acid it will give the chrome a “nickel” finish. I’ve done it.

KyleM1990

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I'll look into this weekend when I get some time, I'm most likely going to try to unclog it and replace the lines for now considering the parts store wants $26.99 each for those nozzles.

thinger2

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Before you take it apart, try to clear it with a set of welding tip cleaners.
They are cheap and the small diamter ones are much smaller and more flexible than a safety pin.
A real handy tool to have too.
In a pinch you can also use the b or e string from a guitar.