Turn signals dead, emergency flashers goofy. Is it the multi function switch?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
I can't imagine any special tools needed to do the job beyond the usual steering wheel puller set and lock ring depressor set, and I wanna say the screws in the clamshell are e-torx. In the past, I've used regular 1/4" drive deep sockets on those and didn't have any trouble since they're small fasteners at very low torque levels.

I'd be happy to help if you think you'd be in the area any time soon. Those diamondplate bedrail protectors are sitting here waiting on you, too..

As far as choosing the part, I think I'd pick Rostra over Dorman - and the Rostra is $20 cheaper. No real basis in feeling like one is better than the other except I have no love for Dorman, and I believe Rostra is known for being an OE-supplier for a lot of stuff.

I don't think it would be your taillight circuit boards if your brake and taillights are functioning correctly, but you can always take them out of the loop (as well as potential trouble from the trailer harness) by disconnecting near the end of the driver side frame rail and check the truck end of the harness with a test light. Trailer harnesses are well-known for causing issues, even the nice ones that Tee in at that connector vs. being tapped in or hacked in otherwise. Ground your test light to the frame, then check the connector from the truck end - yellow is left turn/brake, dark green is right turn/brake, light green is reverse, brown is taillights/tag lights.

Richard
Thanks for the information, and I'll see what my schedule is vs. yours. I think I can handle most of the job, but the truck having the alarm on it may throw a wrinkle in that I hadn't anticipated. So your generous offer of help is definitely appreciated. Maybe we should continue this discussion with a PM.....

someotherguy

Even more awesome in person
Reaction score
Thanks for the information, and I'll see what my schedule is vs. yours. I think I can handle most of the job, but the truck having the alarm on it may throw a wrinkle in that I hadn't anticipated. So your generous offer of help is definitely appreciated. Maybe we should continue this discussion with a PM.....
Just lemme know. Definitely wouldn't dive in without some troubleshooting first, hate to see you spend the bucks for that multifunction switch and have it not be the solution. It does seem probable though since it's very unlikely you would have trouble with both the turn signal and hazard flasher units simultaneously. So the suspects are the common items: switch, wiring, connections...

Richard

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Just lemme know. Definitely wouldn't dive in without some troubleshooting first, hate to see you spend the bucks for that multifunction switch and have it not be the solution. It does seem probable though since it's very unlikely you would have trouble with both the turn signal and hazard flasher units simultaneously. So the suspects are the common items: switch, wiring, connections...

Richard
The new flasher clicks louder, and the turn signals (right now) are working properly. Hazard flashers are working backwards (button depressed is Off, instead of On, and raised button is On). Both fuses had unbroken loops, but corrosion on their blades. I replaced both fuses and the flasher, but the hazards being backwards tells me that something's awry in that section of the switch(a wiring harness issue would make some of the turn signals act up and currently they are not). O'Reilly's doesn't carry the Rostra unit. My price on the Masterpro 1 year warranty is around $105; the Standard, lifetime warranty, is around $135,+ TT&L.

Keeper

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
2¢ I'd double check that trailer wiring before digging in the column. If it got better on it's own, possibly as it's drying out, the trailer plug itself would be suspect... to me at least. Any voo-doo lighting issues seem to end up with me under the back bumper somehow. Things corrode quickly in and around that plug. Like others have said.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
2¢ I'd double check that trailer wiring before digging in the column. If it got better on it's own, possibly as it's drying out, the trailer plug itself would be suspect... to me at least. Any voo-doo lighting issues seem to end up with me under the back bumper somehow. Things corrode quickly in and around that plug. Like others have said.
I will check that out too. My trailer hookup is tucked away under the bed.

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
I replaced the fuses and the flasher, and the turn signals are working pretty much normally again. The hazards do not work. I can't depress the button on top of the column.
Here's the owners manual page on this item:

Attachments

• IMG_20240906_190237732.jpg
    IMG_20240906_190237732.jpg
    179.8 KB · Views: 8

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
well it is good to hear that your turn signals are at least working can not speak for the flasher cube but I sas on a video once that is a good idea to check your fuses from time to time and clean the blades and contacts in the fuse box the fuses that you pulled might not be bad just not clean