Radio flashes with turn signal

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

AK49BWL

GMT400 Forever!
Reaction score
I guess it could be the alternator starting to fail. Mine still did it when I dropped in my 200A AD244 tho, and it has more than enough juice at idle to keep things going.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
It does it with nothing else switched on - with or without engine running - and I'm pretty sure it didn't before. The audio warning 'seems' louder also - though I could be imagining that. All that I'd noticed prior to this was the voltmeter fluttering at the point of engine shutdown as its needle dropped back on the scale. That, I've only noticed in the past few weeks but could have been doing it forever.

Truck was in for its annual safety inspection on Tuesday and when I got it back it was doing this. Hard to believe anything in the inspection caused it - but hard to ignore the timing. It did - during the test for no obvious reason - get left sitting idling with headlamps switched on for some 10-15 minutes.
Check the battery terminals, they may be just a little bit loose. Rawhide does this from time to time, so I have to check it periodically.

1500z71

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Your radio and taillights are on separate grounds, but go ahead and ensure they're clean and tight. How do your battery cables look?
If this hasn't already been done then 2x on checking battery cables and connection. I had an issue where my A/C on would balloon my tach and odometer... it was a loose negative on the battery side.

GoToGuy

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Noting else affects the voltage gauge except the when turn signal functions. I get a small up down movement with turn signal flash. I was going to temporarily install a second volt gauge to do a short term comparison observation. To see if I can remedy it. That's on the 95 K2500. And yeah it drives my :3811797817_8d685371 ADD/ OCD into the red zone.

68corvair

Reaction score
My 93 suburbans volt gauge also pulses to the turn signals. Even with an upgraded alternator ( late model 160 AMP Hair Pin ) and not running any other accessories. I have been over the grounds. Occasionally when I turn on my headlights the radio shuts off or looses its station. That I figure is a ground issue but I haven't found it so far

Vic327

Reaction score
My guess would be a bad ground but you have to tell us what exactly causes this when you find out. It would be a great prank to pull on someone.

Pinger

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
Check the battery terminals, they may be just a little bit loose.
Did that, tightened them a smidge, voltmeter still dances to turn signal's tune. Meanwhile, the fuel gauge's needle lies (both senses of the word) like a drunk in the corner.

Last edited: