Strange starter issues

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
"Best" for what purpose? There's boutique specialty products that may be better for a competition vehicle, or have extra-long service life for a street vehicle, or have some other quality that may be of benefit for a specific application.

You already bought a replacement starter. It's probably fine. But defective parts can happen, so keep your eyes open.

Every time I need spark plug wires, I get "universal fit", helical-wound kits from Summit. The plug ends are attached, the distributor ends are not--so the wires can be cut to fit exactly. I favor helical-wound suppression wires over carbon-rope wires based on potentially-longer service life.

Example:
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-860825r

Last edited:

Oakr11

Reaction score
Thanks for your input . Correct , there is no heat shield on the starter side , I didn't realize it should have one . I checked and there looks to be one on the steering side . Hopefully these are available , I'll get one coming .
Edelbrock makes one that covers more of the starter than the OEM one.

rt3500

Reaction score
"Best" for what purpose? There's boutique specialty products that may be better for a competition vehicle, or have extra-long service life for a street vehicle, or have some other quality that may be of benefit for a specific application.

You already bought a replacement starter. It's probably fine. But defective parts can happen, so keep your eyes open.

Every time I need spark plug wires, I get "universal fit", helical-wound kits from Summit. The plug ends are attached, the distributor ends are not--so the wires can be cut to fit exactly. I favor helical-wound suppression wires over carbon-rope wires based on potentially-longer service life.

Example:
www.summitracing.com/parts/sum-860825r
thanks for your input . I guess what I'm looking for is durability over high performance.

rt3500

Reaction score
As an update , I hauled this last weekend . Didn't make any starter change but I did make that ignition timing change and I gained about 1 to 1.5 mpg by checking/setting correctly . Doesn't sound like much but hey , why not go for maximum? And the truck just felt much happier . I guess word of advice - check your timing as it might very well be off .