Project:

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
still doing the night thing cause of the heat
You must be registered for see images attach

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
looks good!
just wondering... is there any benefit from weld in notches like that tubing compared to the 8piece weld on kits? i have a well 6piece weld on kit already. cause im missing the 2 bottom weld in plates. thats why i got it so cheap.lol

i hate this dam heat. ive just been inside as much as posible in the ac. i cannt weld for **** in this heat id be dying sweating my ass off.... i did that last year building my trailer welding in 95degree weather and it sucked hardcore! i did like one small bracket and i wanted to quite for the night!
good luck with the heat man! every weld is ont step closer to completion. ;)

DRAGGIN95

Warranty Killer!
Super Moderator
Reaction score
I like the 8 piece notch better because you can weld the inside plates to the frame before you fully box them in, and I think they are tied in to the frame better than the prefabbed type of notch, but I installed both type's of notch. Also I agree on the heat I have been welding a lot here recently and it's 110+, it totally suck's to have to wear long sleeve welding shirt and pant's!

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
o ya it sucks so bad BUT welding sparks and welding sunburns are no jokes!!!! ive got sunburned way to much for just doing a QUICK WELD JOB that straight sucked hard for afew days of pain! burned my face and all my left side.

but good news for yall locally... its cooling off nicely tonight and under 90 the rest the week. I HOPE IT STAYS COOL! i wanna work on my projects as well but i hate the heat to much.

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
well correct me if im wrong.... isnt that still like a normal step notch? in your link it shows 10% stronger for tube style BUT it also shows that 1/4of original frame is still used to only clear 3.5+inches. but with the normal step notch isnt that mean 10% weaker than stock since you still remove a section of frame to clear 8inches now.

from his numbers the half circle is the strongest. 10%+ stock strength. but from the picture he shows it looks like it would be reversed since the half circle has more yellow weak spots then step notch.... kinda confusing.

but i dont plan on hauling anything more than alittle uhaul trailer or tow dolly pretty much max. i was gonna slap electric brakes and be able to tow my dads big steel trailer BUT ive changed my mind this year since i just rolled over 200K miles and to my knowledge the driveline is original and in good shape so i dont wanna push it so ill keep it light towing only. tho i still might put in electric brake wiring since my pops tow dolly has electric brakes on it.

but anyways i thought the premade notch would be weaker since it looks welded instead of one solid piece. shouldnt it have gussets for like overlap between the 2 pieces? on my trailer build i had several people say i should add extra bracing instead of just butt welding the two pieces together. tho maybe im mistaken and those tubes have internal braces. ive never seen them first hand.

of course to make the frame stronger than stock couldnt you just add side to side bracing like a step notch bridge like most trucks got. i think that along with boxing afoot or so of the frame should make it just as strong if not stronger than stock.

e3mcgrath

Reaction score
sorry, that was a rushed reply. should've explained before just leaving it like that. the joints on the actual notch will be fishplated as well as a crossbar between the notches. i am also going to add a gusset on the top of the frame to the notch and plate the frame a good bit. the article to me says the notch will be close enough in strength to an 8 piece to not buy one.

edit: more or less just like draggin95 did on sierra's truck

addiction2bass

junkyard junkie
Reaction score
ok. good to know! keep up the good work. still under 90 today :)
hell once i get my rear parts in im gonna have to pay you to come out and give advice and help set pinion crap.LOL thats what kicked my ass to hard with my static drop in rear!