2000 C2500 Project

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

HotWheelsBurban

Gotta have 4 doors..... Rawhide, TOTY 2023!
Reaction score
Truck doesn't look happy.

You must be registered for see images attach

No fluids were lost, AC still intact too. Passenger door won't open but hood still does. I was able to drive it away after cutting the corner of the bumper off. It was rubbing the tire.

Though it still runs and drives there is a lot of damage to the body. I think the frame is ok though. Bumper and brackets are trashed, grille is broken, right fender and hood smashed, core support and inner fenders pushed in.

I think with a couple junkyard trips and plenty of time I'll be able to fix it. Wanted a new bumper and core support anyway but wasn't ready to do it so soon. Not sure if I want to put another stock sacrificial bumper on it or make a stronger one out of rectangle tubing and secure it to the frame better.
The thing about the way the bumper brackets are designed on these trucks, is they are made to curl the bumper up into the grille (and fenders if it's not a straight on impact) to dissipate the impact into the truck...and so the occupants don't get the full impact. When our first OBS Burb got wrecked the final time, it was a hit at an angle so it bent the frame horns and around the motor mounts.
Since this looks like a straight on hit, your frame is probably okay. And white trucks seem to be more common in the yards(at least here it's like that). But the bumper and brackets are toast. Shame it's an OEM style grille too; the one Allstate paid for on my current Burb was $400 new. Your lenses also look okay so that's good. Save the Bowtie as they are ex pen sive new; I have heard if you use a small screwdriver to pry the tabs up on the sheet metal nuts on the pins that go through the grille, that you can remove the nuts without breaking those pins.
Haven't tried it yet though!
Truck looks like it's thinking "somebody hurted me and I want revenge...." I'd be plenty unhappy too! That's one reason I wanted an officer to come to our wreck even though no one was hurt...I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't act out on the girl who hit us. If she hadn't immediately admitted it was her fault, I may have....

Erik the Awful

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Don't bother trying to find straight bumper brackets at the junkyard. They're all bent. Buy LMC's brackets and then spend two minutes with a grinder because they didn't make the notches for the bumper gasket deep enough.

For reference:

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The thing about the way the bumper brackets are designed on these trucks, is they are made to curl the bumper up into the grille (and fenders if it's not a straight on impact) to dissipate the impact into the truck...and so the occupants don't get the full impact. When our first OBS Burb got wrecked the final time, it was a hit at an angle so it bent the frame horns and around the motor mounts.
Since this looks like a straight on hit, your frame is probably okay. And white trucks seem to be more common in the yards(at least here it's like that). But the bumper and brackets are toast. Shame it's an OEM style grille too; the one Allstate paid for on my current Burb was $400 new. Your lenses also look okay so that's good. Save the Bowtie as they are ex pen sive new; I have heard if you use a small screwdriver to pry the tabs up on the sheet metal nuts on the pins that go through the grille, that you can remove the nuts without breaking those pins.
Haven't tried it yet though!
Truck looks like it's thinking "somebody hurted me and I want revenge...." I'd be plenty unhappy too! That's one reason I wanted an officer to come to our wreck even though no one was hurt...I wasn't entirely sure I wouldn't act out on the girl who hit us. If she hadn't immediately admitted it was her fault, I may have....
That's a good point. I probably will go back stock with the brackets and a smooth bumper. The rub strip always looked off to me with no other exterior trim. I am surprised about the lights. The parking lamps pulled the screws and nylon inserts out of the grille instead of breaking the lens. I do want to keep the bowtie, hopefully I can find a good used grille

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Don't bother trying to find straight bumper brackets at the junkyard. They're all bent. Buy LMC's brackets and then spend two minutes with a grinder because they didn't make the notches for the bumper gasket deep enough.

For reference:
Thanks for the info about the notches. I actually was able to find a straight set at the yard last time. I was considering LMC but wonder how the quality compares to OEM

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Most of the time, OEM parts are better than aftermarket parts. Sheet metal is definitely better, used or new GM stuff (is there any of that left after 25-30 years?), than most aftermarket replacement metal. They put a "remanufactured" fender on Burb, repainted and it looks just like the one that it replaced. Fortunately the hood didn't sustain damage in our wreck, but the fender, bumper, brackets and grille were damaged.
How a Hyundai does that much damage, when neither of us were going very fast(maybe 20/25 mph, the light at the intersection had just changed, and the other driver pulled out in front of us).

Attachments

• IMG_20220809_135000868_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220809_135000868_HDR.jpg
    273.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220809_171642775_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220809_171642775_HDR.jpg
    262.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220809_135006019_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220809_135006019_HDR.jpg
    393.9 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_20220810_102222558_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20220810_102222558_HDR.jpg
    317.3 KB · Views: 3

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Since it was more of a corner hit, the airbags didn't deploy (good, because the dashboard is already busted enough!). But with the HD 8 lug trucks, you don't have airbags. So it's doubly important for the sheet metal and bumpers to crumple as designed, so the driver and passengers don't have the full impact of the collision to deal with. And always wear your seat belts!!!

99xcss4

92g-94c frank'n (truburban) K-2500
Reaction score
Most of the time, OEM parts are better than aftermarket parts. Sheet metal is definitely better, used or new GM stuff (is there any of that left after 25-30 years?), than most aftermarket replacement metal. They put a "remanufactured" fender on Burb, repainted and it looks just like the one that it replaced. Fortunately the hood didn't sustain damage in our wreck, but the fender, bumper, brackets and grille were damaged.
How a Hyundai does that much damage, when neither of us were going very fast(maybe 20/25 mph, the light at the intersection had just changed, and the other driver pulled out in front of us).
ouch need one of these so it dose not happen again and so it can match your crew cab https://www.ebay.com/itm/1147687605...96o2wJ59euGk/7o6aoWRTu5g==|tkp:Bk9SR8jek7ufZA

HotWheelsBurban

Reaction score
Actually I have a couple of the brush guard, similar to what Rawhide has. Got one at the U Pull And Pay on one of the discount days they used to have. The other one came off @someotherguy 's dually; he didn't want it on his truck or in his way, so I took it off his hands. Between the two, I should be able to make one complete unit.
Bad thing about these: if the impact is from certain directions, it'll just do more damage instead of preventing it. Bumper gets twisted, anything attached to it will too.

EJ_74

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Ouch... that does look like a lot from a car. Mine hit a little Toyota. We were on the highway and he slammed on the brakes too fast. The car had stopped all the way and I got down to maybe 30 before the hit. Seatbelt did its job and airbag in the other car didn't even go off. Nobody was injured in any way