Power steering pumps dying instantly

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
In the initial failure, the hoses developed pinhole leaks (very suddenly, as there was no noticeable leak before). I tried topping it off, but it emptied in seconds. with an assistant turning the wheel, it looked like jets of fluid were coming out of the lines. I replaced the lines, and bled the system, only to find that running dry had, of course, killed the steering pump. The steering was always a bit "sloppy", where I have to turn the wheel about 1/8 turn left and right to keep it going forward, the total distance between these points being about 1/4 turn. Grandpa said he had most of the steering linkage replaced "except one link, because it was so expensive". I assume that that "link" must have been the gearbox. Cant hurt to replace it?
I will tell you my situation, and why I basically replaced everything. I got my 1999 K1500 Suburban for $100. The guy, who is my father in law's cousin just wanted it gone. It was not running, sat for over a year, had some body rust, and the interior was a mess. Not torn up, like a lot of them get, but needed significant attention. I got it running in the driveway of his house, but the engine ran like crap. Rear diff was toast (that's why it sat), so it did not move. But the transmission did shift through all of the selections, 4WD seemed to shift, etc.

It took me about year before it was up to my "daily driver" standards in both looks and function. Once I started driving it daily, the steering declared itself. There was about 10 inches of free play in the steering in either direction, and the truck wandered on the road. I replaced the steering shaft and rag joint, which was in very poor condition (once I took it off, it was obviously worn). The improvement I got from this was marginal at best. I took it to my friend who runs a shop in town, we did some checks, all of the suspension components were solid, the free play was coming from the steering box. He told me (as is the consensus here) to not get the standard Cardone or auto parts store reman box, as the quality is hit or miss, and the labor cost and time alone isn't worth it to play the game of moving deck chairs on the titanic by swapping boxes until you find a decent one. So I went with a Redhead box. As an aside, I recommend it with some caveats. It does seem like a quality rebuild, but mine did come with a small amount of free play, that seems to be well within the range of the adjustment screw. I know you void warranty by touching that screw, but I will do it anyway at some point. That said, the steering is 99% better. I doesn't come close to matching the quality and feel of my BMW for example, but I doubt it ever did.

Because I was replacing the steering box, I didn't want to leave a 25 year old pump in place, considering that replacing it in the future is almost like doing this same job twice. I didn't seem to leak, seemed to work OK, but again, if it craps out at any point, you have to disconnect all the lines, drain all the fluid, refill, re-bleed, etc. And imagine it craps out and shoots metal glitter all over the system. So I just had it all done in one shot. And because of the questionable quality of the remans on the market today, and because you can still get a new GM genuine pump, that's what I went with. Overall, I spent almost $2k on this alone, but once I get around to making a tiny adjustment on the steering box, I will hopefully have a trouble free steering system for the next 2 decades. I did not do this job myself, although I could have, just don't have the time and don't feel like crawling underneath the truck for hours, so a lot of the cost was labor. I have twin toddlers, and they only want to ride in this truck, so the control systems have to be reliable.

I think your decision making process should be as follows: How close to factory new do I want to make this, what kind of longevity/reliability am I looking for, what's my budget, and what is my time frame. Based on this, you can see where to go.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just realized this company is local to me, lotsa good stuff like these constant tension clamps. Perfect for a new Magnefine 3810000 p.s. filter.

Caman96

OEM Baby!
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I just realized this company is local to me, lotsa good stuff like these constant tension clamps. Perfect for a new Magnefine 3810000 p.s. filter.
Picked up these today, just wanted to mention these are really well made. Got both 16mm and 17mm, just to make sure a good fit. I bought a few the other day at Tractor Supply, cheap money, but decided not to use them because they were really light gauge…and cheap. For bolts and all types of automotive hardware, check them out. :waytogo:

You must be registered for see images attach

sneakingfart

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Is there another valve that could cause power steering assist to fail intermitently?
No, not to my knowledge. If your power steering cuts out randomly, and having gone through 3 rebuilt pumps, I would look into replacing the steering gear. Realistically, we still don't know what's broken, and we still can't say for sure that the problem is a low quality pump rebuild.

JDGMC

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
If and when you come to the conclusion that you need a better quality steering gear and you choose a redtop, making adjustments will not void the warranty provided you contact redtop first. You will need to justify why you believe the adjustment is required. It helps if you know what you're talking about and be honest with the history and recent repairs including why the gear was replaced in the first place. With a my most recent redtop install, my steering was too tight over-center. I drove 600-700 miles to see if the gear would loosen up - it did not. Called redtop and provided the info to justify what I wanted to do. They gave me the green light. Told me how much to turn the adjustment screw, drive it and call back with the results. The adjustment amount provided was on the money for my driving preference. I’m guessing if I needed to go more they would have likely allowed one more iteration before looking at other components including their steering gear. The warranty is still valid.