Pitman Arm Play - Is This A Problem?

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Your Mechanic is an idiot if he let that pass. The pitman arm is toast. Check the center link to make sure that it is not also wobbled out. And I would not drive that truck until it was fixed correctly.

Another thing, have EVERYTHING rechecked to see what else he missed. And find a new shop to work on your truck.

evilunclegrimace

Does not always play well with others
Reaction score
Yea, like @evilunclegrimace said, that is bad bad.

The other concern that makes me go :eek: is the oil leak(s) that is causing all that crap all over under there.

Do you carry a spare 5 bottles of oil with you everywhere?
That is just forever under coating no need to reapply:anitoof:

Seymorey

Reaction score
The “oil leak” in question is 27 years of undercoat build up. No leak to be found.

Im not worried about her other bits. Sway bar bushings are a bit dry and her ball joins could be replaced but, there is nothing indicating that anything else is at risk of ruining her or killing me.

If I drive her as she is, am I at risk of catastrophic failure and death, or are we good for awhile?

jd33173

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I vote catastrophic failure and/or death (i mean, you COULD live but "would you want to" is the question). Fix it, its like a $20 part. Dont die for 20 bucks. Just sayin.. also, borrow a pressure cleaner and give the old girl a little love - she will pay you back, these are good vehicles.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
If you change it, you will need a pitman arm puller. Also, depending on what may be in the way, you may have to remove some steering gear mount bolts and allow the gear box to tilt a little. for access. If you do, you need to likely disconnect the steering shaft.

movietvet

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Military
Reaction score
Also, if you do the work yourself, you will need a ball joint/tie rod spreader/pickle fork. You do not have to worry about hurting it or the center link. Plus, you want that separated before you use the pitman arm puller.

You should be able to rent these tools at a parts store. If you got air, great for air tools to speed it up. Or, battery powered Milwaukee Tools work great. I used to have all air tools and a compressor but now in my neighborhood, that would wake them. I have a small one for blowing things off and where only low pressure air is needed.