pinion seal replacement trouble

Disclaimer: Links on this page pointing to Amazon, eBay and other sites may include affiliate code. If you click them and make a purchase, we may earn a small commission.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The way you marked both sides gave you a right and wrong way to put it back together too.
yup. I screwed up.

I already left a few voicemails to some shops nearby.

I’m going to get a quote for this pinion job and probably fix it for now unless i find a unicorn axle somewhere near me tonight on the inter webs.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
Considering my drivers side spindle needs replacement,
and the fact that i could use some new tires,
I think i would be a great candidate for an upgrade to the 9.5” axle with better brakes.

Can I reuse my current type of spindles and just add six lug rotors to the front? is it that simple?

Should I keep the 3.73 gear ratio?

How hard is it to change out the axle?

And is it better to buy a remanufactured one like in the links above or to try and find one at a junk yard

Sean Buick 76

I'm Awesome
Reaction score
I think the easiest solution is removing the entire axle and swapping in another one with the same ratio. I think I paid $300 for both front and rear duffs to swap into my Yukon.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
I think the easiest solution is removing the entire axle and swapping in another one with the same ratio. I think I paid $300 for both front and rear duffs to swap into my Yukon.

I found this one in Jew Jersey Which is the closest to me, and has the lowest miles I’ve been able to find.

It’s a 1998 and it shows up under full float 3.73 gears.

What’s the difference between full and semi float axle?

Do i need one or the other? Is that a stupid question? lol

If I call this junkyard tomorrow what are the right questions to be asking them?

I need to confirm that it’s a 3.73,
But other than that, what do i need to look for in order to get a good fitment?

Schurkey

Supporting Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The "10-bolt" axle has an 8.5" nominal ring gear diameter. There's an 8.6" version, but that's not important.

The "14-bolt" semi-float has a 9.5" nominal ring gear diameter. The housing is somewhat larger than the "10-bolt", but the driveshaft gets crammed another 1/2" into the transmission/transfer case, and it works OK.

The "14-bolt" full-float has a 10.5" nominal ring gear diameter. The 10.5" axle is much bigger/stronger than you'd need. It's just extra drag that the engine has to overcome. In addition, I don't know what sort of driveshaft modification you'd need to adapt to the yoke size, and that yoke will be closer to the transmission, requiring a shortened driveshaft. You'd also wind up with the gigantic 13" drum brakes which could overpower the front brakes.

The 9.5" axle is a wonderful upgrade, the 10.5" axle is overkill.

Isaacmacleod

OBS Enthusiast
Reaction score
The 9.5" axle is a wonderful upgrade, the 10.5" axle is overkill.
Okay great.
I’ll look for a 9.5” semi-float

I really like this idea.

Realistically i will be calling shops for quotes on the pinion job for the time being.

Then I will start one piece of the puzzle at a time.

I’ll save up for new tires, rims and 6lug rotors.

I’ll constantly search for the best axle i can get. preferably a lower mileage 9.5” semi float.

Hopefully that’s the silver lining to this situation.

And by finding a good shop to do this pinion job properly, I will have in the process found a reliable rear end mechanic which may help me in the future.

Gotta look on the bright side!

Someone told me “experience is expensive”
Again i’m trying to look on the bright side lol